S-TYPE V-8, 110,000KM

2000 Jaguar XJS

demerara

January, 29, 2007 AT 9:51 AM

Hi,
My mother has a 2000 jaguar s-type that is costing her a ton of money to repair and I would greatly appreciate your help to help me try to fix some issues.
The current specific problem is a misfire. OBDII reader shows a P0302 code for cylinder #2 misfire. No random misfire codes and no other codes for specific cylinders. She has had 5 of the 8 coils replaced already.
It appears the coil problem is somewhat common on the S-type. The plugs have all been changed recently also.
I am reasonably mechanically handy but a bit intimidated by the Jaguar as I have only worked on older cars.
First off, I am not sure of the cylinder order. I believe it is passenger side 1-2-3-4 front to back and driver side 5-6-7-8 front to back. Can you confirm this please?
Next question is where the heck is the coil? I know they are coil on plug set up and most cars would have these reasonably accessible but I can't see where these are! I traced the wiring loom to somewhere under the valve cover but can't see where I would access this. Do I go from underneath? And also the alternator seems to be right in the way. Let me know the easiest way to gain access to remove and replace the #2 ignition coil please.

Thanks a lot.

WT

Dave H

January, 6, 2010 AT 5:08 AM

Ignition timing and spark distribution are controlled by ECM or PCM according to sensor inputs. Ignition timing is controlled primarily as a function of engine load and speed. Engine load is sensed by Mass Airflow (MAF) sensor. Engine speed is sensed by a Crankshaft Position (CKP) sensor. The ECM or PCM processes inputs from the sensors and accesses ignition timing from the ignition timing strategy. Individual ignition coils are located above each spark plug. ECM or PCM incorporates the primary circuit for each coil and provides switching for each primary circuit. The correct firing sequence and timing of the ignition coils is determined by ECM or PCM from cylinder synchronization input provided by the Camshaft Position (CMP) sensor.