CAR WILL NOT START

1989 Jaguar XJS

danelettiero

June, 17, 2010 AT 10:54 AM

1989 Jaguar XJS V12 Two Wheel Drive Automatic 86570 miles

car was running good but was showing a low charge rate I installed a new battery and it still showed a low charge on gauge parked car and tried to start three days later and it would not start charged battery and it would not even turn over it I tried other electrical items and they all worked could it be the starter relay

2CarPros Linsey

June, 21, 2010 AT 7:01 PM

Hi and thank you for using 2carpros. Com. I would start by checking the voltage of your battery with a volt meter. It should read between 12.3 and 12.7 That is what it will take to turn the starter on your vehicle. As for the starter relay being bad, I would think not likely if the car was starting and running before you changed the batt and after u changed the batt. Please get back to me with your results and we can go to the next step in figuring out what is going on.

danelettiero

June, 21, 2010 AT 10:15 PM

THE BATTERY IS BRAND NEW AND IT HAD A FULL CHARGE COULD IT BE THE SWITCH ON THE SHIFT LEVER?

2CarPros Linsey

June, 22, 2010 AT 11:27 AM

What is the current battery voltage? The switch on the shift lever is a possibility but we can not determine that untill we know a few other things first

danelettiero

June, 22, 2010 AT 8:34 PM

I do not have a voltmeter but it is a new battery and I put it on a battery charger and gave it a slow charge and it was fully charged when it would not turn over I switched batterys from my 1985 coupe and car would not turn over both batterys start the 85 xjs I also tried battery from my explorer I do not think the battery is the problem is there a fuse for starter

2CarPros Linsey

June, 24, 2010 AT 11:51 AM

With a test light, check to see if you are getting power to the starter and the relay.

LemonLover

August, 19, 2012 AT 12:20 AM

Hi, I own what must be the all time lemon of the 1989 Jaguar XJS'. Your going to love this. I had intermittent & pretty much unexplainable probs with the battery/alt/starter circuit for years. Had me pulling my hair out.I mean really relays, diodes, more relays. On & on. SO THIS IS THE SCOOP - if the battery, alternator & starter are fine go to the starter relay, its silver, rectangular with 2 wing attachment for screws on the passenger side of the engine compartment toward the firewall. OK now, there are like 6 prongs or more, pull off the black wire with a green stripe and attach a spare wire to that prong/blade and then ground that wire to something metal. Try to start the car. Did it work? If it did, its the feed back relay (black square with an internal diode just to the right of the starter relay)Ok, now here; s the fix, keep the ground wire that you supplemented and replace the errant relay at your leisure. As long as its ground your cool. Do you believe they charge so much for something so simple? Egad, I hate most mechanics

Crank Angle Sensor Replacement Mercedes Benz
Crankshaft Position Sensor Replace Chevrolet
Fuel Pump Test Chevy Tahoe
Fuel Pump Replacement
Fuel Pump Replacement Done Right