Raise the vehicle for access.
Drain the transmission fluid. NOTE: This procedure will not remove residual fluid from the torque converter. WARNING: TRANSMISSION FLUID MAY CAUSE SEVERE BURNS, ENSURE THAT ALL SAFETY PROCEDURES ARE OBSERVED AND THAT THE RECEPTACLE FOR WASTE HAS SUFFICIENT CAPACITY.
Carefully remove the drain plug and drain the transmission fluid.
Refit the drain plug and tighten to the specified torque figure. Use a new 0-ring.
Remove the fluid level / filler plug.
Using a syringe dedicated to transmission fluid only (not used for any other type of oil or fluids), inject transmission fluid until it overflows from the plug orifice. CAUTION: It is essential that only the specified fluid is used. Wait until the flow of fluid has reduced to a trickle.
Fit, but do not tighten the plug.
Prepare PDU (at the base station).
Install the appropriate disk and switch ON.
Select the vehicle specification - ENTER.
From Engineering Tools select Toolbox - ENTER.
From Toolbox select Powertrain - ENTER.
Connect MPA and download cable to PDU and base station.
Select Data logger - ENTER.
Select Transmission - ENTER.
Disconnect download cable.
Connect MPA to PDU.
Connect PDU (at the vehicle).
Connect MPA cable to the vehicle diagnostic socket - ENTER.
Energize the vehicle ignition - ENTER.
From the menu select Transmission oil temperature (TOT) - ENTER.
Check that the fluid temperature is <30 C .
NOTE: Ensure that the TCM is connected and functioning correctly. Select Park and start the engine.
Cycle the gear selector.
From P to D.
From D to R.
From R to P.
Adjust the transmission fluid level.
Remove the filler / level plug.
Inject fluid until it overflows from the plug orifice. CAUTION: The fluid temperature MUST NOT exceed 50 C . Wait for the flow of fluid to reduce to a trickle (for at least 1 minute).
Refit the filler / level plug and tighten to the specified torque figure.
Check for leaks and remove spilt fluid.
Shut down and disconnect PDU.REMOVAL AND INSTALLATION
I have also included a Technical Service Bulletin on this
V8 Sedan & XK8
1997 MY-ON XK8 Range
1998 MY-ON V8 Sedan NA
Checking Fluid Level -
ZF 5HP 24 E -
This bulletin provides a more detailed procedure for checking the transmission fluid level.
To check the transmission fluid level accurately, proceed as follows:
1. Position the vehicle on a level surface and let the vehicle stand for at least 2 minutes.
2. At the PDU base station make the following menu selections: DIAGNOSTICS, TOOLBOX, POWERTRAIN, DATALOGGER. Connect the PDU to the vehicle and ensure that the transmission is not in limp-home mode and that no DTCs are stored.
3. On the PDU, make the following menu selections: DATALOGGER, TRANSMISSION, TOT (transmission oil temperature). Check that the transmission temperature is below 30 C if ambient temperatures allow. Allow to cool if necessary.
NOTE: 30-40 C is the optimum temperature range for checking and filling transmission fluid. The range of 30-50 C is acceptable: Checking with a fluid temperature of 30 C represents the maximum fluid fill. Checking with a fluid temperature of 50 C represent the minimum fluid fill. Once the engine is running, the transmission fluid heats up rapidly.
4. Have the ATF filling: container prepared so you can add fluid immediately after opening the plug. Start the engine with the transmission in the Park position.
5. Verify that the idle speed in between 600-750 RPM.
6. Move the selector lever from the Park position to the Drive range and pause for 3 seconds.
7. Move the selector lever from the Drive range to the Reverse position and pause for 3 seconds.
8. Move the selector lever from the Reverse position to the Park positions.
9. Ensure that the fluid temperature has not risen excessively and immediately raise the vehicle and remove the fluid level/filler plug.
10. Fill with Esso ATF LT 71141 until the fluid begins to overflow from the fluid level/filler plug.
11. Wait at least one minute until the flow of fluid has reduced to a trickle.
12. Reinstall the plug and check the PDU to verify that the fluid temperature has not exceeded 50 C.
Saturday, October 25th, 2008 AT 12:13 AM