TRANSMISSION FAULT

1998 Jaguar XJ8

JPFSVDP

1998 Jaguar XJ8 V8 Two Wheel Drive Automatic 123850 miles

I have a 1998 Jaguar Vanden Plas that goes into " limp home mode" each time I start the car and shift into drive. Car will engage first gear but when gas is applied slips and transmission fault come up. Two months ago Stealer told me tranny was fine. Got codes in ths order P1722, p1730, p1643 and sometimes p1797. Please any help would be greatly appreciated I don't want to go back to dealer. Could transmission control module need reflash?

Transmission Flare

Transmission Problem

stevep90

April, 26, 2009 AT 7:41 PM

This is a very common problem with this transmission.
I am going through the same issue now.
I just finished dissasembly and found on the 1st gear set a bad O ring and the snaap clip that holds the assembly together came out of its slot and broke the sprag. It takes two people about 4 hours to remove transmission, another 2 hours to dissasemble and 4 to reassemble. I will order parts tomorow looks like about 400 dollars in parts. The dealer quoted 6900 dollars for the repair. I am a doit yourselfer not sure what your tool or apptitude is mechanically. The rest of the compnents look fine.
Sorry to give you the bad news but there are reuilds availible for about 3k.

goffd77

July, 26, 2012 AT 3:55 PM

Can I get a little more details on how to replace the O ring and snap clip. I am having the same problem and do not have the 4k to dish out for the repair at this time.

Transmission Fluid Replacement Mercedes Benz
Transmission Turbine Sensor Replacement