HIGH GEARBOX TEMPERATURE MESSAGE

2000 Jaguar XJ8

Djag

March, 17, 2011 AT 5:58 PM

I have a 2000 XJ8L with 119,000 miles on it and prior to me replacing the throttle body I was receiving the high gearbox temperature, failsafe mode and then the after awhile the limp mode message would eventually come up and the car would not operate properly. I would turn off the car wait for awhile(maybe and hour or so) and then it would allow me to drive it a few blocks and the same thing would happen. As previously stated I just had the Throttle body replaced and the oil changed and filters changed on 3/10/11, but yesterday I got the high gearbox temperature message AGAIN! What could cause this? Car just off warranty Sept 2010 for my Dad kept renewing warranty until he passed. Can you help me with this?

merlin2021

March, 17, 2011 AT 6:19 PM

First get the codes scanned autozone does it free, there are a few codes that cause limp in mode and once you post the code I can help.

Djag

March, 17, 2011 AT 6:29 PM

Prior to me getting the Throttle body replaced I was receiving the P0121 code, but I will make a trip to Autozone and see what comes up. Thanks

Djag

March, 18, 2011 AT 3:37 PM

I made a visit to Autozone as well as Carmax and no codes were showing. Actually as I was driving it the High GearBox Temperature message came and once again.

Djag

March, 18, 2011 AT 4:17 PM

The message did again leave again as I continued to drive.

merlin2021

March, 18, 2011 AT 7:33 PM

This is the probable cause how are you at testing wires and or sensors if I tell you how?

Djag

March, 18, 2011 AT 8:12 PM

I can do it if you tell me how. Upon further research and reading I was looking the transmission control module or something of a temperature sensor that may or may not come with a harness of some sort?

merlin2021

March, 18, 2011 AT 8:24 PM

There are 2 important temp sensors in this problem one is the transmission fluid temp sensor and the other is the engine coolant temp sensor. Your problem sounds like code P0712 trans fluid temp high, and can be caused by either a bad sensor or a gounded wire in the sensor circuit. It can also tie into the ECT(engine coolant temp sensor. Testing is done at the TCM(transmission control module located at the right rear of the engine cmpatment, look for the Blue/Yel stripe and Black/Green stripe wires Use an OHM meter set on 2K and your readings should be as in the resistance table show in pictures below, Note that the ECT has the same color wires, so test the sensor there by removing the plug and checking across the sensor. The ECT is located on top rear of engine in the top hose.

merlin2021

March, 18, 2011 AT 8:46 PM

And the ect spec below, IAT(intake air temp should also be tested with the ect on a cold engine, readings should be within spec. If you have a scanner that can read sensor data, read the coolant and air temp degrees cold, they should be within 10 degrees of each other.

Djag

March, 18, 2011 AT 8:52 PM

Okay, I really appreciate it, I will start on it and after completing I will present you with the results. Thank you.

merlin2021

March, 18, 2011 AT 8:54 PM

OK good luck.

Pulling an Auto Trans? Easy Instructions
Drive Shaft Removal - All Cars