97 JAG. XJ6, 4.0, 120K MILES,

• Xperiment
  • 1997 Jaguar XJ6

Recently, my car won't start easily when I turn off the engine for less that 30 minutes; I assumed it needed new spark plugs. After I put in new plugs, there was a sudden loss of power. Now my mechanic says it is the head gasket. He says 2 out of the 6 cylinders are not working. Prior to this spark plug change, the engine never over heated, and it was driving perfectly. When I drove it home from the shop, upon opening the hood, I noticed the tail pipe (the section close to the engine) was red hot. The engine never heated past the half-mark, nor was there any smoke.

Any other thoughts as to what could be the likely problems?

Many thanks for any help.

Sunday, November 18th, 2007 AT 1:13 PM

• James W.

What is supposed to be wrong with the 2 cylinders that are "not working" and which # cylinders are they. I you have 2 dead cyl. The vehicle should have barely enough power to pull itself around the block. If are pushing it hard on only 4 cyl, you could over heat the exhaust. Please advise and I can tell you more.

Monday, October 6th, 2008 AT 8:16 AM