2005 Jaguar X-Type Brake Fluid Reservoir

TALFRED
  • 2005 JAGUAR X-TYPE

Brakes problem
2005 Jaguar X-Type 6 cyl All Wheel Drive Automatic 54000 miles

Is a brake system flush required after replacing the reservoir? There is no leaks in the reservoir, but the cap on the reservoir is cracked. The replacement cap for the reservoir will not fit, so the entire reservoir is being replaced. I know that you should have the brake system flushed at least every two years, but I have only had the car for a year and a few months.

Tuesday, April 27th, 2010 AT 2:46 PM

Hi talfred. Every manufacturer specifies flushing brake fluid periodically but it's one of those things no one does. Don't lose sleep over this. You will get some new fluid with the replacement of the reservoir. The big thing is to get the moisture out that always seeps in over time. That moisture promotes corrosion of metal parts and lowers the fluid's boiling point which can lead to brake fade and a mushy pedal. There is a rubber bladder seal under the cap. If the cracked cap allowed the fluid to be exposed to the air and its humidity, THAT would be cause to want to change the fluid. Other than that, it's good preventive maintenance, but nothing to panic over.

Tuesday, April 27th, 2010 AT 3:48 PM