2002 Jaguar X-Type Starting problem/Computer reset?

CLEATUSJAYE
  • 2002 JAGUAR X-TYPE

2002 Jaguar X-Type 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 100000 miles

I have a intermittent starting issue. At roughly 7:00 AM, the key was engaged to start, nothing happens and a "clunk" noise was heard. Checked battery with multimeter and see 12+ volts. Radio and interiors worked fine (forgot to look at headlights) Checked fuses with no replacement needed. Scratched head and attempted to start again. Car started normally. Drove around the block and shut down and car started normally again three or four times. Next morning around five-thirty, tested to start for reassurance and car did not start and had same noise, as if insuficient or dead battery. Removed battery and took it to car parts store for testing. Checked good with 12.5 volts and 768 CCA. Reinstalled battery and car started normally. Today, car starts normally. Is it possible that I reset the computer by removing the battery for the test and that my issue is corrected?

Monday, December 28th, 2009 AT 11:57 AM

DAVE H

Computer cannot be reset by removing the battery. I think the battery was the fault.A jaguar needs a very good battery in order to start. Voltage may be good. But amperage output could be bad?

Friday, January 1st, 2010 AT 11:22 AM
DANIEL FLECK
  • 2002 JAGUAR X-TYPE
  • AWD

Changed the oil, fuel filter, fuel pump, spark plugs. I checked the fuel reset button. When I turned key on and press nipple under the hood no fuel leaks or sprays out. (Sorry for the non technical mechanical terms)
Getting codes
P1646, P1637, P1000, P0332, P0191, P1603, P1646, P1637, P0222, P0191, and P0122

Car turns over but will not start. Could the fuel filter being the wrong way cause this issue? When I removed it I did not realize which way it went. The arrow is pointing towards the engine coming out of the fuel pump.

Please help me!

Monday, April 3rd, 2017 AT 10:05 AM (Merged)

With so many codes check battery for condition it may be low or weak it will cause a lot of codes to show. Then erase the codes and try a security system reset we do not have anything for a Jaguar so you will have to call the 800 number or dealer.

+1
DANIEL FLECK

Thank you very much will check and or by a new battery. Will get back with you.

2CARPROS KEN

Please let us know what happens.

Best, Ken

DANIEL FLECK

Put the new battery in, same out come. The fuel pressure was very very low. When I said I changed out the fuel pump I actually rebuilt the existing fuel pump. Well I opened it up agin today, right on top the hose had popped off. Put it back on with a new clamp. Car starts and runs. Smh so simple. Lesson Do not reuse old crimp clamps. HAMC300 THANKS SO MUCH for your knowledge! I'm positive the new battery will save me all kids of issues down the road. The old battery had insufficient amps. Cars is far from perfect yet but very happy it runs now.

2CARPROS KEN

Glad you could get it fixed please use 2CarPros. Com anytime we are here to help

Best, Ken

+1
MFINCHER
  • 2002 JAGUAR X-TYPE

2002 Jaguar X-Type All Wheel Drive Automatic

when I turn my key on all electrical things work radio-heat-etc. But car will not start nothing happens and car will not shift out of park.

+1
DAVE H

Start by checking or replacing the battery

ROZ1614
  • 2002 JAGUAR X-TYPE

2002 Jaguar X-Type 6 cyl All Wheel Drive Automatic

It is a 2002 XS 2.5L.I only had it a year. It just would not start one day. It would not turn over at all. It makes the ding sound and the dome light works but has no click or anything.I had two mechanics look at it and they said it may have been turned off because I was behind on payments.I have since paid it off and own the title.

DAVE H

Check the finance company have actually turned the vehicle back on?. Check battery is good, has to have 12.5 volts at least to start. Check starter motor and wiring !

CHRISTOPHER G FRANK
  • 2002 JAGUAR X-TYPE

Car will crank but will not start.

WRENCHTECH

All "crank, no start" conditions are approached in the same way. Every engine requires certain functions to be able to run. Some of these functions rely on specific components to work and some components are part of more than one function so it is important to see the whole picture to be able to conclude anything about what may have failed. Also, these functions can only be tested during the failure. Any other time and they will simply test good because the problem is not present at the moment.

If you approach this in any other way, you are merely guessing and that only serves to replace unnecessary parts and wastes money.

Every engine requires spark, fuel and compression to run. That is what we have to look for.

These are the basics that need to be tested and will give us the information required to isolate a cause.

1) Test for spark at the plug end of the wire using a spark tester. If none found, check for power supply on the positive terminal of the coil with the key on.

2) Test for injector pulse using a small bulb called a noid light. If none found, check for power supply at one side of the injector with the key on.

3) Use a fuel pressure gauge to test for correct fuel pressure, also noticing if the pressure holds when key is shut off.

4) If all of these things check good, then you would need to do a complete compression test.

Once you have determined which of these functions has dropped out,
you will know which system is having the problem.

ANTONIOPARRA87
  • 2002 JAGUAR X-TYPE

Need to get to temperature sending unit because fans are not turning on and is causing car to overheat

Monday, April 3rd, 2017 AT 10:06 AM (Merged)

On the engine intake manifold.

• 2002 JAGUAR X-TYPE

Will crank but not start? Why? No blown fuses

Go to this walk thru link and review it thoroughly: http://www.2carpros.com/articles/car-cranks-but-wont-start