ENGINE PERFORMANCE

1997 Isuzu Trooper

trooperz

April, 20, 2009 AT 11:20 PM

1997 Isuzu Trooper 6 cyl Four Wheel Drive Automatic 212037 miles

my truck overheated recently due to a crack in the radiator that I had overlooked. I had my radiator replaced with a new one and now another problem popped up. My truck now seemed a bit hard to start and just recently when I stepped on the gas pedal as I was trying to start her up, it just backfired. What seemed to be the problem?I already checked and cleaned the sparkplugs and the air cleaner but still its a hardstarter and its pretty rough during idle. What will I do next?

atkaparking

April, 30, 2009 AT 4:01 PM

Given the overheating history, I'd suggest two tests. The first is a compression check for a blown head gasket or possible cracked head. (Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but your symptoms mirror possible head problems, and combined with recent overheating, is a likelihood). If you show low compression in one or adjacent cylinders, you'll need motor work. Sometimes a bad gasket won't give real clear signs through compression readings, so if compression tests good, pressurize cooling system to check for leaks. If you lose pressure with no visibile coolant leaks, it is leaking internally, most probably through the head gasket. Good luck

Engine Class - Autoshop 101
Air Filter Replacement Saturn Vue 2002-2007
Air Filter Replacement Porsche 911