2002 Isuzu Rodeo Question Charging issue after long trip at

JAMESATSHARP
  • 2002 ISUZU RODEO
I have a 2002 4Dr Isuzu Rodeo 3.2l V6 that has a charging problem that has stumped most of the mechanics I've talked to. It began with a bad alternator, replaced. Then no problem till long trips (3-4hrs) at night with lights drawing more current, battery went dead several times in same scenario. During these times the alternator would seem to overheat and quit charging till cooled. Let sit overnight and next morning all was well. So I found a mechanic who told me that there is a TSB related to this problem that states the alternator harness is defective and that there is a kit to replace it. Now I can't seem to get back in touch with him and I don't have enough information to get the kit. My question is this; does this TSB actually exist and what are the details. It seems plausible and I can replace the harness if I can find the part number for the retrofit.
Friday, June 25th, 2010 AT 8:00 PM

MHPAUTOS
Hi there, can you tell me what model, S, LS, LSE, sports? This may make a difference in the TSB listings.

Saturday, June 26th, 2010 AT 12:14 AM
JAMESATSHARP
Hi Mark,

Thanks for your interest. It is an LS.

James
Saturday, June 26th, 2010 AT 3:12 PM
MHPAUTOS
There are no TSB's that cover your model and the fault that you have, I would be checking for corrosion around the main alternator cable connection, I would also like to know what the actual charge rate is after a longer drive as the alternator is heating up, I would be looking for an internal short in the alternator.

.

Sunday, June 27th, 2010 AT 1:12 AM
JAMESATSHARP
Mark,

I will change the cable from the alternator to the battery to eliminate it from the equation. As for the charge rate, I don't know what it is. All I can tell you is that it brings up the voltage at the battery to somewhere around 13.5 to 13.9Vdc. I'm not sure I have the means to measure the charge rate. Maybe I can borrow a clamp on ammeter from an auto-parts store.

James
Sunday, June 27th, 2010 AT 10:12 AM
MHPAUTOS
Hi James,

That is the charge rate, and if the batter is fully charged then that is a little high, you may have a voltage regulator problem, just don't fall into the trap of thinking that a new alternator can't have a fault, every thing must be checked & re checked, the over heating tend to suggest that this may be the case.

Sunday, June 27th, 2010 AT 10:27 AM