Intermittent no crank

JKERLEY14
  • 2013 FORD EDGE
I have the vehicle listed above (SEL model) that seems to have issues starting when it is hot outside. I had the battery replaced less than a month ago thinking that was the issue. When that didn't work, I replaced the ignition switch, and the car started a few times but also didn't start a few times as well. Everything else turns on, but the engine doesn't turn over at all. It appeared to start very consistently when I reached my hand behind the panels and kept a consistent pressure on the ignition switch, keeping it pressed into the lock cylinder. When it is cooler outside, like this morning, the car starts up just fine. Thanks!
Monday, August 24th, 2020 AT 5:35 AM

KASEKENNY1
Do you think you can get a video of how you need to press on the ignition to get it to start? Even if it is not acting up just get the video of what you are doing in order to get it to start. I am just looking for a little more info on this because that clearly points to a wiring issue but I just want to make sure I understand what you are doing before we make any recommendations.

Let's start with this and go from there. Thanks
Monday, August 24th, 2020 AT 5:44 PM
JKERLEY14
I've got a picture of what I'm describing. Hopefully this helps. Let me know if you'd still like a video.
Tuesday, August 25th, 2020 AT 7:49 AM
KASEKENNY1
Okay. That is great. Also to confirm, this is what you replaced correct?

If so, we need to remove those connectors and inspect each of the terminals for any spread terminals? Basically you simply visually inspect them and then do a drag test using a wiring test kit? You insert this test terminal in the female terminals and make sure you feel drag on each one. If not, you need to replace that terminal or connector.

Does that make sense?
Tuesday, August 25th, 2020 AT 8:19 AM
JKERLEY14
That is what I replaced, yes. So you think the issue is in the harness that connects to the ignition switch? I will add that the ignition switch feels loose when it is clipped into position, as shown in the picture. Also it feels looser when it is warmer outside than when it is cooler.

I have never done a drag test before and dont have a wiring test kit, but it makes sense. What is the wiring harness above the ignition switch? It seems to attach to the lock cylinder.

When I removed the original ignition switch, a plastic plunger (my word) and a spring fell out of the back of the lock cylinder. I was able to replace them correctly but could the heat be causing a bad connection between the spring or plunger and the ignition switch body?
Tuesday, August 25th, 2020 AT 8:33 AM
KASEKENNY1
Absolutely. With that information, I suspect you are exactly correct. That changes what I am thinking as far as a connector issue so I don't think the drag test is needed.

The fact that this happens when it gets hot tells me that the contacts that are the issue is expanding and you pressing on it re-establishes the connection.

What I would suggest is try to narrow it down by pressing in very specific locations to see if you can find one connector or even wire. You may have to lay on the floor and look up behind there and have someone else operate the key just to see if you can isolate the issue. Again, when you say you replaced the switch, was it the actual key cylinder shown below or the black box that you are pointing to in that picture with the electrical connector?
Tuesday, August 25th, 2020 AT 6:46 PM
JKERLEY14
I replaced the black box with the arrows pointing to it. I didn't do anything with the key cylinder.

Update: Yesterday the car wouldn't crank at all (it was 95+ degrees out), even with me pushing on the back of it. We ended up having it towed to a car shop. I hope they can duplicate the issue. I'll keep you posted.
Wednesday, August 26th, 2020 AT 5:13 AM
JKERLEY14
The shop thinks that it is the ignition lock cylinder housing. They think it is loose which creates a loose connection between the ignition switch and the plunger/actuator. I'll try to remember to provide an update after I get it back and have a few days to test it out.
Wednesday, August 26th, 2020 AT 10:54 AM
KASEKENNY1
Okay. Thanks for the update. Clearly we are close to the issue so that would make sense. I just have never seen that before so that would be a new one on me if that works out to be the solution.

Let us know because I am curious about this one. We will wait to hear back. Thanks
Wednesday, August 26th, 2020 AT 6:33 PM

Sponsored links