Inside door locks open by switch but wont lock

CAUSTIN59
  • 2000 CHEVROLET MALIBU
My car makes a relay grind when trying to unlock it and when at drivers door it opens all four with a grind. Wont re-lock unless you do it manually. All other relays truck etc work. This car was bought used and the drivers door was shorted and glass was down. I replaced the panel containing window switches and now they work fine but not the locks. If you accidentally hit the unlock switch its got that relay hums loud and it opens all four. Guess it is not a fuse it sounds like a relay, but where is it and why all four doors?
Tuesday, October 11th, 2016 AT 11:08 AM

SATURNTECH9
So there is a grinding noise in the drivers door when trying to operate the power locks?If so sounds like a bad door lock actuator.
+1
Tuesday, October 11th, 2016 AT 11:22 AM
CAUSTIN59
Way off base but thanks. The grind comes from all doors. Windows go up and down lock by key or manually flicking the tab on the door. Opens and grinds when any of the equipped doors are pushed upwards and the grind is in the dash. Must be a relay that is bad on one end. It just echoes in the doors. Unlocks but wont lock. Where is the relay that controls the locks?
Tuesday, October 11th, 2016 AT 11:30 AM
SATURNTECH9
There is a relay that would control the locks I will look up where it is. But if the doors are making a grinding noise when trying to lock then sounds like you have some bad door lock actuators in the doors. It is pretty common for them to fail. The plastic gears in them wear out/strip and they become inoperable or grind. Or the actuators become weak and will unlock but wont/cannot lock. I wish I was there to hear what was going on.
+1
Tuesday, October 11th, 2016 AT 11:39 AM
SATURNTECH9
The door lock relays are in the left side inside fuse box. There is a lock and unlock relay they should be reversible so you can try trading places with the lock and unlock ones to see what happens.
+1
Tuesday, October 11th, 2016 AT 11:50 AM
CAUSTIN59
The relay makes the most sense. Tomorrow I will upload exactly what happens visually and verbally with cell. Thanks all.
Tuesday, October 11th, 2016 AT 12:10 PM
CAUSTIN59
Okay, I went out and re-examined the facts. No doubt the relays got wet one works but will fall apart if I attempt to remove it they both have 5180 written on them so I think best to replace both. Passenger door is dead either way the drivers door is the one making the noise not the relays. I also noticed the open and close switch is shot on drivers door. This is from the left corner dash fuse box.
Tuesday, October 11th, 2016 AT 1:03 PM
SATURNTECH9
If the drivers door is making the noise most likely it has a bad door lock actuator.
Tuesday, October 11th, 2016 AT 3:34 PM
SATURNTECH9
You might as replace both relays keep me posted on how it goes.
+1
Tuesday, October 11th, 2016 AT 3:38 PM
SATURNTECH9
Sounds like you have a water leak somewhere do you have a aftermarket alarm?
Tuesday, October 11th, 2016 AT 3:39 PM
CAUSTIN59
Cant find relays local matching those numbers and whats on ebay are used garbage. Fixed the door switch it was a panel issue preventing the switch from going up and down correctly but no fuses blown and the relays are corroded in place. Thanks for the schematic. All four doors will open but two front ones are probably relays and one actuator I never got a alarm with the car just two keys neither with resistors.
Tuesday, October 11th, 2016 AT 3:59 PM
SATURNTECH9
That one probably has a pass lock sensor in ignition housings rather then a chip in the key.
+1
Tuesday, October 11th, 2016 AT 4:08 PM
SATURNTECH9
Take a look at rock auto dot com they have them. Let me know what you find.
Tuesday, October 11th, 2016 AT 4:16 PM
CAUSTIN59
Will do this thing never had an alarm or a remote both keys are naked
Tuesday, October 11th, 2016 AT 7:05 PM
SATURNTECH9
They still can do the pass lock with naked keys and no remotes. Did you check rock auto dot com for those relays?I have order a lot of parts from them over the years.
Tuesday, October 11th, 2016 AT 8:10 PM