1997 Infiniti I30 Hard to start

UPHOGGER
  • 1997 INFINITI I30
Just bought the car and was running great till the other day when I noticed it was getting harder to start. Does not matter if the engine is hot or cold, still has problems. Have to pump the gas pedal which creates a raw fuel smell till it warms up and then the car runs fine. Any suggestions?
Monday, February 22nd, 2010 AT 10:21 PM

JACK42
Check for a fuel pressure regulator on the fuel rail, it will have a small vacuum line going to the intake manifold. If there is any fuel present in the vacuum line the reg needs to be replaced. Sounds like it is going too rich, when you open the throttle and give it air it will start. Is the tune up in good order as well?
Tuesday, February 23rd, 2010 AT 3:41 PM
UPHOGGER
I checked the small vacuum hose on the regulator and it was dry. In the process giving it a tune-up, changed the plugs and found one of them with a small amount of oil on it but the rest looked good. Also changing fuel filter and belts. Anything else should I change on the tune-up? Let you know if the starting issue is resolved.
Wednesday, February 24th, 2010 AT 10:42 PM
JACK42
Use carb cleaner and a rag to clean around the butterfly in the throtle bore. When the reversion builds up around it, the proper amount of air cant get by and it can affect the way it starts and runs
Thursday, February 25th, 2010 AT 7:20 AM
UPHOGGER
I did the tune-up, changed the fuel filter with no results. Car is still hard to start, the check engine light is now on but I think its from when I disconnected the electrical connector from the air flow sensor when I removed the air filter assy. To clean the throttle body. Could the fuel regulator still be bad?Hate to change it at $80.00 a pop if its not the problem. Could a bad injector or weak fuel pump cause this? The car idles smooth and runs great once its running. Whats strange about it that its not consistant, there are times it will start fine but its happening more often.
Thursday, February 25th, 2010 AT 4:21 PM
UPHOGGER
I saw a similiar problem online and the guy mentioned the same thing that his Infinity I30 is hard to start but runs fine but he also mentioned that he heard the engine make a "popping sound" while he tried to start it and come to think of it I've heard the same thing. Don't know if thats helps.
+1
Thursday, February 25th, 2010 AT 5:52 PM
JACK42
You can use a fuel pressure gauge to verify pressure. That will at least rule out the pump as the problem. When gauge is installed, the pressure should jump up a little when engine is revved up, if it does that the reg is most likely ok
Thursday, February 25th, 2010 AT 7:29 PM
UPHOGGER
I will give it a try, where is the fitting to hook up the gage too? If the fuel pressure is ok and I see the increase showing the reg. Is ok, do you have anymore suggestions?
Thursday, February 25th, 2010 AT 10:31 PM
JACK42
You could try cleaning the Mass AIrflow Meter. Use the correct cleaner for it though or it will ruin it. Beyond that it may need to be put on a scanner to see if the cam or crank signal is erratic.
Friday, February 26th, 2010 AT 7:15 AM