SERVICE ENGINE SOON LIGHT

2002 Infiniti G20

wxl7294

November, 23, 2008 AT 5:40 PM

Computer problem
2002 Infiniti G20 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Manual 115000 miles

5 days after I changed the spark plugs, the SES light goes on. I used OEM Spark Plug PFR6B-11 NGK which I ordered online. However, these plugs are not listed on the owner's manual. I verified that the gap is 0.043" (Is it correct?). The scanned code from an auto parts store indicates bank 1 sensor 2. The guy told me it is the oxgen sensor near the catalytic converter problem. He reset the code. I subsequently changed the spark plug wires, distributor cap and rotor also. The SES light came back on after one day. I wonder whether the spark plugs that I used (the fact that it is not listed on the owner's manual) is causing the problem or not. If nothing else, my next step is to take the car in to the dealer. Thanks in advance.

mmprince4000

November, 24, 2008 AT 5:16 AM

It is best to use OEM plugs, newer cars use Iridium plugs.

The O2 sensor code is more than likely a result of the plugs, since it happened after the plug change.
Have the CAT backpressure tested to make sure the CAT is not clogged or partially clogged.