Brake lights stay on when car is off

MEEKOINC
  • 2002 HYUNDAI SANTA FE

Six cylinder front wheel drive automatic 90,000 miles.

My brake lights will not turn off when I remove the key (or any time for that matter). Drained my battery. Had to disconnect battery to get them to turn off.

What could be going on? How much is a reasonable "diagnostic test" cost for this? I am getting all kinds of numbers and it sounds like they are hoping it is a more expensive electrical problem to fix.

Friday, May 21st, 2010 AT 4:58 PM

BLUELIGHTNIN6

Most likely culprit is faulty brake light switch, located under driver dash above brake pedal arm. Approximately thirty minutes to replace it.

+9
Friday, May 21st, 2010 AT 4:59 PM
BEER4MIKE

Hopefully you have found your problem by now. I just ran into the same problem and the culprit was not the switch. On our 2001 Santa Fe there is a nylon pad on the brake pedal lever that pushes against the brake light switch to turn off the brake lights when the pedal is released and comes up. This pad disintegrated so the switch is no longer depressed when the brake pedal is released. I placed a small replacement pad for a cabinet door that had an adhesive back on the lever and it did the trick. At least until I can get the real part somewhere.

+7
Thursday, July 22nd, 2010 AT 8:05 PM