2004 Hyundai Elantra Throttle or fuel filter

SSELANTRA2004
  • 2004 HYUNDAI ELANTRA
I have taken adequate care of my Elantra, regular oil changes, transmission oil changes.

Last few months it seems like it has lost some power, sluggish and sometimes does not downshift smoothly while driving on an upgrade or accelerating.

The car shop replaced the fuel filter (without telling me first) for $175 then charged another $200 to change the Throttle position sensor. Since then, the RPM's race all over, car hesitates, hiccups, wants to cut while stopped at a light. When I start up first thing in the morning (cold engine) the RPM's can race to 4000. On idle the engine runs rough.

Took it back - shop said it might be a bad part. They said they changed it and the car ran ok for 3 days. Now the same problems are back. I told them I didnhave any of these problems BEFORE I took it in. They are giving me the run around and say they need to do "more tests."

I have no check engine light (CEL) warnings.

A friend said it might be the fuel filter or pump. He looked at the seat and there is no indication that it was removed - I understand that's the way to get to the fuel filter. I called the shop and asked how they changed the filter. The answer I got was "we didn't remove the seat or the gas tank. The fuel filter is outside the gas tank."

I don't know enough about my car to verify this. Does the Hyundai Elantra 2004 have a fuel filter OUTSIDE the gas tank?

Also, I am leery about taking my car to these guys again. Can you tell me what could be the problem if changing the TPS didn't help much?

thanks.
Saturday, May 1st, 2010 AT 7:01 PM

Hi:
First, yes the fuel filter is under the car and nothing needs removed to access it. So they are being honest about that; however, the price they charged seems really high. As far as the idle problem, since when they replaced it the second time it ran good, something tells me they are getting bad parts. Many shops will get the cheapest parts they can. If they still feel it has to do with the TPS (and they guarantee you that is the problem) have them reimburse you for he original TPS and spend the extra money on one from the dealer.

Honestly, I don't think they ever fixed the original problem. A loss of power and running rough usually indicates a plugged catalytic converter. Have them check that too.

Let me know what you find or if you have other questions.

-1
Sunday, May 2nd, 2010 AT 12:22 AM
SSELANTRA2004
Thanks for the feedback on the catalytic converter.

The shop says they will charge for a computer diagnostic check. That might be another $100 When I contacted them, the guy didn't make any effort to offer to look at the TPS. I might have to stay away from them and go to another shop.

Re - catalytic converter - is that a big cost? It seems like when I start up the car the smell from the exhaust is really weird. Not exactly rotten eggs smell. But bad.

Someone mentioned checking the following:

manifold gasket?
Pulse Generator Wires
idle speed
Oxygen sensor

Any thoughts?

Sunday, May 2nd, 2010 AT 11:30 AM
Rather than going back to them for a computer diagnostic test, take it to a nationally recognized parts store. Most will do it for free.

Now for the converter, a direct fit part can be around 200 dollars based on where you live. Here is something you can look for. After driving at night, do not shut it off and get out and look at the converter. Many times when they plug, they will get so hot that they will glow red hot (easy to see at night).

As far as the other items mentioned, the intake manifold gasket would have caused an idle problem, the O2 sensor rough idle, increased fuel consumption, and I'm not sure about what they ment by idle speed, or pulse generator wires. THey may have been refering to the injectors, but that would have caused the engine to shut down, miss.

Regardless, let me know what you find or if you have other questions.

-1
Sunday, May 2nd, 2010 AT 10:58 PM
SSELANTRA2004
Thanks for the guidelines. I'm in So Cal and unfortunately, Autozone and other parts stores are no longer allowed to do diagnostic checks in-state. Laws here are getting stranger!

I drove the car 40 miles r/t yesterday (freeway) and on the last 10 miles or so, the RPM wouldn't go below 3000 so I drove at 40 mph to home. This morning when I started the engine and drove about a mile the CEL light came on. So it is now parked at work.

I am thinking of taking it to another shop to get it checked. It might be the catalytic convertor or the previous shop just messed up the TPS and/or fuel filter installation.

It is a great car, fully loaded and I would like to drive it for a few more years. Will give update when (hopefully) the problem (s) get solved without breaking the bank.
Monday, May 3rd, 2010 AT 4:09 PM
Wow! They can't check because of new laws? I guess thats big brother keeping an eye on us and trying to protect us. If I recall, "we the people" built this country. What is next. I know I have had about all I can take. This poor country. One can bearly recognized it anymore. What happened to the freedom to pursue happiness. The more you make the more they take. The harder you work, the more you are punnished. Why try?

What the nationally recognized parts stores offered was a great for people who needed help and couldn't afford an extra hundred bucks to get a computer scanned. The parts stores, of course, hoped you got the parts from them, but that is gone for them. Just keep feeding the people who overcharge for everything.

Sorry about my whining. I'll shut up now. But what is right, is right, and they have the same freedom to boost their sales as anyone. There I go again.

Sorry about the political views. Let me know what you find and I'll do my best to help you. Also, let me know if the car still runs now that the light is staying on.

PS: You can purchase your own scanner for less than they most likely charge to do one scan. They offered them on this site before. Let me know if you are interested.
Monday, May 3rd, 2010 AT 4:40 PM
SSELANTRA2004
Hi - was traveling on work and didn't get a chance to update until now.

SO, I took the car to another shop - they did a diagnostic chk for FREE. Says the catalytic converter looks ok. Said the prob was most likely the TPS. Advised me to go back and demand it to be fixed.

I took it back (didn't demand or create a scene) but strongly urged them to just get it back to the condition it was in when I brought it to them. So they order an original Hyundai TPS, install it, do a few tests and it is running ok now. Guess it was a cheap part after all.

I mean the original issue exists (sluggish around 2000 rpm) but at least no unexpected racing engine or ragged engine)

So, I guess I got a new fuel filter (whether I needed it or not) and came out from this experience ok.

Plan to take it to the Huundai dealer/shop next week when I have time - closest one is about an hour's drive away - depending on SoCal traffic.

As for all the regulations and "laws" I agree - big time Big Brother. With all the handouts, no wonder they need to tax us more.

Thanks for your help on this.
Monday, May 17th, 2010 AT 4:19 PM
Well. I glad you got it back to this point. You woldn't believe the junk parts that are being inported into our country. Everything is made so cheaply most likely by slave labor and children. But we just keep sending our jobs anywhere the job can get done cheaper. Something needs done, but what? If a person stands up and says something, he is considered a mad man and put in jail.

Keep in touch with me after the dealer checks it. I'm curious if I was correct.

Take care of yourself.

+1
Monday, May 17th, 2010 AT 10:16 PM