2005 Hyundai Accent

HILTONN
  • 2005 HYUNDAI ACCENT
Okay, I'm now ready to replace my timing belt. To make sure I don't screw up, does the crankshaft pulley BOLT turn left to loosen? And what size impact SOCKET do I need to loosen it?

Thanks !
Saturday, June 19th, 2010 AT 9:18 PM

KHLOW2008
Hi hiltonn,

The crankshaft center bolt is normal threaded ie, to loosen, turn anticlockwise.

The size should be 19 mm hex bolt.
-1
Sunday, June 20th, 2010 AT 6:26 AM
HILTONN
Thanks so much. Hope you have a great Father's Day and God Bless!
Sunday, June 20th, 2010 AT 7:40 PM
KHLOW2008
You're welcome and thanks for the well wishes.

Have a great day.
Monday, June 21st, 2010 AT 2:17 PM
HILTONN
I see no adjustment for the timing belt tentioner. Is it done automatic? I don't have the hydraulic tentioner type.
With the tentioner bolts loose, I turned the crankshaft to the right about a half turn and then tightned down both tentioner bolts.

2005 Hyundai Accent 1.6 engine.
Thanks one more time!
+1
Tuesday, June 22nd, 2010 AT 11:05 PM
KHLOW2008
You should never turn the crankshaft with the tensioner bolts loosened. The timing belt can skip tooth when the camshaft is suddenly sprung forward by the valve springs if the crankshaft is turned too much.

Tightened the adjuster bolts, turn the crankshaft till you feel resistance of the compression and then release the tensioner bolts. Retighten the bolts after the tensioner spring pushes against the timing to self adjust. That is the adjustment you require.
Wednesday, June 23rd, 2010 AT 8:49 AM
HILTONN
I already put it all back together before I received your last helpful email. The last thing I done before putting the upper and lower covers back on was double checked for the timing marks and the crankshaft at TDC. I rotated the engine before putting all pulleys and belts back on. It cranked beautiful! So am I safe? I'll wait and hear from you before I crank it again! Thanks.
Wednesday, June 23rd, 2010 AT 1:15 PM
KHLOW2008
Before cranking the engine, you must manually turn the crankshaft at least 2 revolutions and recheck the belt timing. If they all line up, you are safe.

Since you have rotated the crankshaft and rechecked the timing marks, it should be good.

Have a nice day.
Thursday, June 24th, 2010 AT 9:36 AM
HILTONN
Thank you for all your help. I will donate the next time I ask a question. You have been a great help! God bless you and your staff!
Thursday, June 24th, 2010 AT 10:40 AM
KHLOW2008
You're welcome and glad to be of help.

Thank you for using 2carpros.
Thursday, June 24th, 2010 AT 11:26 AM