How to install a timing belt on a 97 hyundai accent gt dohc?
have the same problem?
Sunday, January 16th, 2011 AT 6:14 PM
REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
CAUTION:This application is an interference engine. Do not rotate camshaft or crankshaft when timing belt is removed, or engine damage may occur.
1. Loosen, but do not remove water pump pulley bolts. Remove all accessory drive belts. Remove pulleys from crankshaft and water pump.
CAUTION:DO NOT rotate engine counterclockwise. If reusing timing belt, place reference mark on timing belt to indicate direction of rotation before removal.
2. Remove timing belt covers and gaskets, noting bolt length and location. Rotate crankshaft clockwise to align timing marks on crankshaft and camshaft sprockets. See Fig. 1.
3. If reusing old belt, place mark on belt to indicate direction of belt rotation. Loosen timing belt tensioner bolts, and move tensioner inward toward water pump. Temporarily tighten bolt in slotted side of tensioner. Remove timing belt.
1. Ensure camshaft and crankshaft timing marks are still aligned. See
Fig. 1. Move timing belt tensioner toward water pump and tighten bolt. Install crankshaft sprocket (if removed) with chamfer (flange) toward engine.
2. Install timing belt on crankshaft and camshaft sprockets. Make sure there is no slack in belt. If reusing old belt, ensure belt is installed in original direction of rotation.
3. Apply counterclockwise force on camshaft sprocket to apply tension on tension side of belt. Ensure all timing marks are aligned. See Fig.
CAUTION: Slot-side timing belt tensioner bolt must be tightened before pivot-side to prevent belt tensioner from rotating, causing belt to be over-tightened.
4. Loosen timing belt tensioner bolts to place tension on timing belt. See Fig. 2. Tighten timing belt tensioner bolts to specification.
5. Smoothly rotate crankshaft clockwise for one full revolution. Realign crankshaft and camshaft timing marks. Loosen pivot-side bolt and then slot-side bolt. Tighten slot-side bolt, and then pivot-side bolt to specification.
6. To check belt tension, hold belt tensioner and timing belt together and apply slight thumb pressure (about 11 lbs.) At center point of belt tensioner. See Fig. 2.
7. Ensure belt cog will reach half the width of timing belt tensioner bolt on slot-side of belt tensioner. Install crankshaft flange. Install timing belt cover. To install remaining components, reverse removal procedure. Adjust drive belts to proper tension.