GRINDING BRAKES

2003 Hyundai Accent

corpicon

June, 21, 2008 AT 9:38 AM

Brakes problem
2003 Hyundai Accent 4 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 70,000 miles

Recently, my underground parking garage became flooded. I noticed after driving through it that my brakes began to squal. Shortly after that they began to have an awful grinding noise. I have three questions. Is this related to driving through the water? What needs to be fixed and how much will it cost? Thanks.

June, 22, 2008 AT 2:33 AM

Hi corpicon,

If the grinding noise only happens when applying the brakes, rust could have formed on the rotor surface due to the water. Run the car around and apply the brakes lightly intermittently and the noise should go away. Check the brake pads first, maybe they are about to wear out.

If the noise happens with the engine on without driving, one of the pulley bearings could be worn due to water getting to them.

If the noise only happens while driving, water might have got into the wheel bearings and damaging them.

Sorry I am unable to provide any costing.

Oil Change and Filter Replacement BMW 525i
Front Brake Pads & Rotor Replacement Chevy