2002 Hyundai Accent Squeak to Stop -- Timing belt?

RAVALENZUELA
  • 2002 HYUNDAI ACCENT
SYMPTOMS
For a couple weeks, whenever the clutch was in or the car was otherwise in neutral, there would be an audible and continuous squeak/screech similar to this video from about the 30-35 second mark, but quieter:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBTTlYqWqIc

There would be no such squeaking noise as long as the car was in gear and moving, with the clutch let out. Driving the car for an extended period of time would sometimes cause the noise to go away.

I've been travelling on business and haven't had a chance to check it out from there.

However, last night I drove the car home, and the engine died when the car stopped. Brake and power steering hydraulics also stopped working.

The symptoms (total engine/hydraulic failure after decelerating from highway speeds to a full stop) are almost identical to when my Volvo's serpentine belt broke a couple of years ago. However, the serpentine belt on the Hyundai is intact, appears to be in reasonably good condition, and moves when the starter is turned. The car will not, however, start; it sounds like the starter works but the engine will not turn over.

QUESTION
Could it still be the serpentine belt? If so, how can I check?

Could this be timing belt failure? If so, how can I check?

And what other things could cause these symptoms?

Thanks a lot!
Sunday, July 25th, 2010 AT 1:31 PM

KHLOW2008
Hi ravalenzuela,

Thank you for the donation.

If the noise is anything similar to the one from the video, it definitely is not from the timing belt. Neither would it be from the serpentine belt. It is a bearing noise and since the noise only occurs when the clutch is depressed, I would suspect the clutch throwout bearing to be the culprit.

When the bearing seizes, depressing the clutch would cause the engine to stall at low speeds. As the clutch is required to be depressed when cranking, the seized bearing is putting additional load on the crankshaft preventing the sterter from turning.

Unplug the clutch pedal switch and use a jumper across the connector. Without depressing the clutch and with gear in neutral, try starting.

To check if the engine is seized due to a faulty timing belt, manually turn the crankshaft pulley with the aid of a spanner.

Another way to test if the engine is seized is to jack one side of the front tire off the ground. Engage 3rd or 4th gear and turn the wheel that is off the ground by hand. If you are able to turn the wheel, with a little resistance, the engine is ok.

To check the condition of the serpentine belt, see if the belt is intact and all the pullies are lined up. Removing the belt to test all the components would anable yout to check if any comonent is seized.

To check the timing belt, you need to remove the upper cover and turn the engine to verify the camshaft is turning when the engine is being turned.
Sunday, July 25th, 2010 AT 3:25 PM
RAVALENZUELA
Great advice, exactly right. Thank you so much!
Thursday, July 29th, 2010 AT 1:43 AM
KHLOW2008
You're welcome but I am curious which part is the correct one? The seized clutch throwout bearing?
Thursday, July 29th, 2010 AT 6:28 AM
RAVALENZUELA
The clutch throwout bearing does indeed need replacement, but the timing belt was also cracked. Not a cheap repair, but your analysis was spot on.
Thursday, July 29th, 2010 AT 11:36 AM
KHLOW2008
Thank you for the input.

Too bad it is going to cost a lot of money.
Thursday, July 29th, 2010 AT 11:41 AM