How to gain access to the fuel pump

BKLYNKID
  • 1998 CADILLAC DEVILLE
I would like to know if it is necessary to drop the gas tank in order to replace the fuel pump? Also, is there an easy way to tell if it is the fuel that has gone bad? I have been told that you can "hear" the fuel pump running when you turn the key to the run position, but the only sound I can hear when I go to run is the pneumatic ride pump and I think that sound would drown out the fuel pump noise. Please help, thanks.
Sunday, May 22nd, 2016 AT 9:00 AM

SATURNTECH9
Some are saying to look for the access panel in the trunk and some have it some do not. My repair information says you have to drop the tank. So you have checked the actual fuel pressure?
+1
Sunday, May 22nd, 2016 AT 9:10 AM
BKLYNKID
Thank you for clearing up the fuel pump access question. I could always peek under the carpet and see if this particular unit does have the access panel. To answer your question, I have not checked the fuel pressure yet. Does it require a gauge?

To sort of give the full context of my question, I ran this car out of gas while letting it idle at my house during my twice a week start up and run routine to "keep things working" (car is rarely driven) and now it does not start. I am trying to figure out if I can fix it myself because the shop cost is pretty expensive versus the car's worth. But I would like to see what I can do, maybe it is not the pump at all, right? I need to start the diagnosis from the beginning, I suppose. Thanks, AL
Sunday, May 22nd, 2016 AT 10:39 AM
If you have a large rubber hammer or palm of hand smack tank on bottom sometimes they will work, but questionable for how long. Auto parts rent a gauge Schrader valve is on fuel rail to check.
Sunday, May 22nd, 2016 AT 12:16 PM
RENEE
Hi Bklynkid,

Here is a link to an article from this site that features written instructions and pictures showing and explaining the process of checking the fuel pressure yourself. If you decide you would like do this yourself you can purchase a fuel pressure gauge online from sites like Amazon.com.

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/how-to-check-fuel-system-pressure-and-regulator

Thank you for visiting 2CarPros.com.

Kindest regards,

Renee
Admin
Tuesday, May 24th, 2016 AT 4:15 PM
SATURNTECH9
Just to add to that you can rent a fuel pressure gauge for free from auto zone that will test the fuel pressure.
Tuesday, May 24th, 2016 AT 5:19 PM