How many CMP sensors are there on my car and where are they located?

MERIB
  • 2006 CHEVROLET HHR
My HHR check engine light has come on and the trouble code is PO341. I recently replaced the plugs, coil and ignition module. After I did that I got a trouble code PO420. I put additive in the gas and now I have the 341 code. The 420 code has gone. I have read that the CMP sensor may be bad but can't find out where they are, even though I know what they look like also someone told me there is only one, Hence my question. I am hoping for an inexpensive solution. Thank you, Merib
Saturday, May 30th, 2015 AT 2:56 PM

SATURNTECH9
There are no cam sensors on that engine it uses sensors in the Ignition module senses if the ecm receives an intermittent from the ignition control module it will set a p0341. You could have a bad spark plug boot/wire. Was there any black carbon on the outside of the spark plugs or inside the spark plug boots?Usually when they use that kind of cam sensing set up and the code sets its usually plugs and or wires.
Saturday, May 30th, 2015 AT 6:22 PM
MERIB
I have Haynes HHR repair manual that states that the car does have CMP sensors but it doesn't really show where they are. I have also seen the sensors for sale online. When I changed the plugs the boots looked fine so I didn't replace them, but I will asap. Merib.
Saturday, May 30th, 2015 AT 6:58 PM
SATURNTECH9
For your car header you have a 2.2L engine which doesnt have cam sensors.
Saturday, May 30th, 2015 AT 7:20 PM
MERIB
I replaced the boots on the plugs. The wiring looks ok, reassembled the parts I had removed. I drove sixty miles today and the trouble code returned. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Merib
Monday, June 1st, 2015 AT 2:29 PM
SATURNTECH9
So do you have a 2.2L engine?Also how long many miles does it take for the code to come back?
Monday, June 1st, 2015 AT 6:25 PM
MERIB
The engine is definitely 2.2 and when I drove the 30 miles to work in the morning it was ok but the light came on when I had driven about 15 miles in the afternoon. Merib
Tuesday, June 2nd, 2015 AT 3:53 PM
SATURNTECH9
If its a 2.2L then there arent any cam sensors it works like a explained earlier as far as how long its taking to set the code its going to be hard to nail down. The trouble tree only deals with a active code meaning you clear it and it comes back when its cleared. Also you watch live data on a scan tool to watch and see whats going on. Iam dealing with that on my car with a random throttle position sensor code that sets whenever it wants. Its driving me nuts because its so random I cant see whats going on with the live data on my scan tool.
Tuesday, June 2nd, 2015 AT 9:11 PM
MERIB
My husband seems to think the outside temperature may be causing the problem. I don't understand why it's ok when it early morning (30mile drive) but returns late afternoon after about fifteen minutes (15miles). Merib.
Wednesday, June 3rd, 2015 AT 2:51 PM
SATURNTECH9
In the morning running your car verus the afternoon the engine etc is running at higher temperature overall.
Wednesday, June 3rd, 2015 AT 7:27 PM