How do I realign camshaft and crankshaft

HARLEY BILL
  • 1998 DODGE STRATUS
What is the proper procedure to realign camshaft and crankshaft timing belt positions with the car listed above with missing the timing belt?
Sunday, January 1st, 2017 AT 3:41 PM

You need a copy of the manufacturer's service manual for a job like this. Unfortunately I am unable to copy and paste the list of instructions from the online site. I was able to post the diagrams.

The tensioner needs to be removed and reset slowly in a vise, then insert a pin to hold it there while the belt is being installed.
Sunday, January 1st, 2017 AT 9:06 PM
HARLEY BILL
Thank you, CARADIODOC, for your help and quick response.

When replacing an existing timing belt one can turn the engine to top dead center (TDC) and align the timing marks, before removing the old belt, but in my circumstance the belt is missing and the cams and crankshaft are not on TDC.

It looks like the belt and adjuster were removed which allowed the right camshaft(closest to the firewall), to have turned( from valve spring tensions), and caused the belt to jump approximately seven teeth, rotating towards the firewall. The left cam and crankshaft remained in position, but not at TDC.

The crankshaft timing mark is pointed at five o'clock and the left camshaft pulley is pointed at three o'clock position, when viewing from the passenger side of engine towards the driver side.

I need the priority sequence and proper procedure to turn the individual shafts to reach the TDC alignment of timing marks, without any interference damage from valve to piston contact.

Can you give me the URL link to the manufacturers web page that has the procedure list of instructions.
Monday, January 2nd, 2017 AT 2:37 PM
DOCFIXIT
This is an interference engine means if crank or cams are turned without timing belt properly aligned pistons will contact valves and bend them usually half of the valves are affected. So head needs to be removed valves replaced then aligned and reinstalled.
Tuesday, January 3rd, 2017 AT 11:49 AM
Yup, Docfixit is right about this being a interference engine, but the bent valves depends on what happened. If the timing belt broke while the engine was running, some of the valves will be bent. If the engine was running, and someone just started a maintenance belt replacement procedure, the camshafts will turn a little but the valves will not be damaged.

There is no specific procedure like you are looking for to reset the camshafts. If the valves are not bent now, you are not going to bend them by turning things by hand, as long as you stop when you feel resistance. I prefer to rotate the crankshaft backward so the TDC mark is about a fifth of a revolution before actual TDC. That insures no piston is at top dead center. Rotate each camshaft to its timing mark. If valve spring pressure prevents it from staying there, use a bar through the sprocket to lock it in place. Now bring the crankshaft to top dead center, and install the belt.

Do not be surprised when one or both cam sprockets is off a tooth or two and you have to manipulate it to the right setting. When it appears to be right, rotate the crank sprocket two complete revolutions, always in the normal direction. Be aware the valves will hit the pistons if a cam sprocket is off by three teeth on some engines.

Also, be aware all the slack in the belt will be taken up by the tensioner pulley, on the backside of the engine. That is why it critical to never turn the crankshaft sprocket backward.
Tuesday, January 3rd, 2017 AT 2:51 PM