Hot rotor/burning rubber smell

DRIFTER82007
  • 2015 JEEP WRANGLER
Had a sticky caliper on passenger side front (or so I thought) pulling to the right when braking, excessive heat emanating from wheel, shuddering steering when when braking. So I replaced passenger side caliper, both front rotors, and new ceramic brake pads. Next day I notice excessive heat coming from passenger side front wheel, along with a burning rubber smell. I have more than a little knowledge and skill. But I'm stumped. Any ideas?
Friday, October 2nd, 2020 AT 12:13 PM

ASEMASTER6371
Good afternoon,

I would replace both brake hoses and flush the brake fluid system with new fluid.

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/how-to-bleed-or-flush-a-car-brake-system

The hoses collapse and do not allow the calipers to release causing the very issue you have at this time.

FRONT BRAKE HOSE

imageOpen In New TabZoom/Print
Install a prop rod on the brake pedal to keep pressure on the brake system. Holding the pedal in this position will isolate the master cylinder from the hydraulic brake system and will not allow brake fluid to drain out of the brake fluid reservoir while brake lines are open. This will allow you to bleed out the area of repair instead of the entire system.
Raise and support vehicle (Refer to 04 - Vehicle Quick Reference/Hoisting - Standard Procedure) .
Remove the tire and wheel assembly.
Remove the wheel speed sensor wire (2) from all brake hose clips (5).
Remove the two wheel speed sensor push in type retainers (1) from the brake hose spring bracket (7).
Remove the brake hose spring bracket bolt (6).
Remove the brake hose banjo bolt (4) at the caliper.

imageOpen In New TabZoom/Print
Remove the wheel speed sensor wire (3) from the brake hose to frame routing clip on the brake hose (4).
Remove the brake line tube nut (1) from the brake hose (4) at the frame.
Remove the mounting bolt (3) at the brake hose to frame routing clip to remove the brake hose (4).
+2
Friday, October 2nd, 2020 AT 12:20 PM
DRIFTER82007
Thank you for the prompt reply! I had thought about replacing the brake hoses as well, but didnt want to "throw" more money at a possible fix, without checking around first. Will let you know if it works!
Saturday, October 3rd, 2020 AT 7:44 AM
ASEMASTER6371
You are welcome.

Always glad to help.

Saturday, October 3rd, 2020 AT 7:47 AM

Sponsored links