IGNITION/STARTING PROBLEMS

1999 Honda Prelude

tranamosity

1999 Honda Prelude 4 cyl Manual 78000 miles

I have a Prelude 2.2 VTEC that has developed a problem when I try to start it. In the last few weeks it only starts intermitently. It may be the cold weather has effected it but this just may be coincidence.

When it doesnt want to start, the starter motor whirs but the engine just doesnt fire up. When it does start the exhaust fumes are dark and smell of petrol, but clears after 5-10 mins, the cause of this may be me trying to start it and pumping fuel through the sytem before it starts. After this initial 'smoking' from the exhaust it runs fine.

It has also been put on a diagnostic machine but the test did not flag up any fault codes.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

January, 15, 2010 AT 10:56 AM

Hi tranamosity,

Thank you for the donation.

From symptom description it could be a weak ignition coill. I would suggest getting the ignition coil tested.

Test if the sparks are bright blue or dull orange by pulling a spark plug wire out and attaching a spark plug to it to engine ground. Crank the engine and watch the sparks.

Dull orange sparks means the ignition coil is weak and can result in difficult starting when cold.

Crankshaft Position Sensor Replace Chevrolet
Crank Angle Sensor Replacement Mercedes Benz
Fuel Pump Replacement Ford Mustang
Fuel Pump Test Chevy Tahoe