ENGINE STALLING

1998 Honda Passport

Ron Wynn

April, 5, 2010 AT 2:35 PM

1998 Honda Passport 6 cyl Four Wheel Drive Automatic 150000 miles

my vehicle started cutting out while driving. Over time it would stall more and more but start rite back up. The drive time became shorter and shorter until now it only runs for 10-15 seconds at a time allways starting rite back up. I was told by a mechanic that since it is getting fuel I should change the computer. I tried used computers twice and the truck would not even start with either. When I placed the old one back it would run for 10-15 seconds again. When I first start the vihicle it will run for approximatley 60 seconds and then returne to the short span. I'm puzzled, can you tell me what to look for. Ron Wynn.

Cj Stalling When Idling

Stalling Out

April, 6, 2010 AT 2:22 PM

Hi Ron Wynn,

Thank you for the donation.

It is unusual for engines to start and stall within a short span with no hard starting issues. Such problem would more likely be due to electrical or sensors.

Does the engine stall only when idling?
Are you able to keep the engine running with a little throttle pressure?
Did you try to retrieve for trouble codes?

Ron Wynn

April, 6, 2010 AT 10:17 PM

The engine will stall if i'm driving it or it is just sitting and Idleing. After reading the info here i'm considering checking the trouble codes but the car is not driveable. Throttle presure does not make a differnce. Will do further research. Thanks.

April, 7, 2010 AT 9:43 AM

Let me know what you find and if you require further assistance.

Ron Wynn

April, 18, 2010 AT 9:57 PM

I realy do appreciate your information of finding the trouble code. But I must apologize for submitting the wrong vehicle. Sorry I just cant get my last truck out of my mind. It's actualy a 1998 chevy blazer 6 cyl. 4 wheel drive. Yet the problem I submited was correct. I have retrieved a trouble code for the vehicle of 1131 an air fuel problem. The auto store told me it was either a mass air flow sensor or a map sensor. Then they said that this vehicle does not have a mass air flow sensor. Can you give me some advice on the matter.

April, 19, 2010 AT 5:32 AM

Ok, so the vehicle is a Chevy Blazer.

The trouble code P1131 is not found in the trouble code list. Can you please reconfirm the code?

Some scanners might give the wrong trouble code if it is not compatible. IF the code is correct, then it could be an error. Get a scan done with a different scanner to see if the code is the same.