TIMING BELT

• nattyb4ksu
  • Honda

Do I need to replace my timing belt, if the rotor underneath the distributor cap is not spinning

Friday, May 26th, 2006 AT 1:56 PM

• losone

If the distributer gear is good you will have to replace a lot of things including the cyl head because the engine is an interference engine and a broken timimg belt wipes out the valves. Good luck

Friday, May 26th, 2006 AT 6:16 PM
  • nattyb4ksu

Is there a way to check if the distributor gear is good? If I have to replace all those parts, considering how old my car is, should I just look to get a new one? Thanks for all your help.

Friday, May 26th, 2006 AT 10:36 PM
  • losone

You didn't provide me the make, model, year and mileage of your car so I can't make an accurate judgement.

If the engine spins over like you have no spark pulgs in the holes then it is a broken timimg belt You can remove the valve cover and see if the valves move when you turn over the engine.

As a reminder, the timing belt replacement on most Hondas is 60K on earlier models and 90K on newer models.

Good Luck

Saturday, May 27th, 2006 AT 1:18 PM