Stalling and loss of power

• 1 POST

Hi I have an acura legend, 1991, with 49000 mi(actual). It has been quite dependable until about a month ago. It started stalling at low idle, very rarely. Starts right back up. Brakes also were hard to apply. Took it in, found vacuum leak, was assured all was fine. Stalled out again today at low idle. Took it back in today, they cleaned the injectors. They said under the hood had a rotten egg smell and the converter could be getting bad. It doesn't seem any better to me, it seems to not have get up and go, which is way weird for this car, it is using more gas than usual, and it seems to be really hot under the car when it runs for a while. When I exit the car I can feel a lot of heat. Please help because I am stuck without a reliable mechanic-i have been taking it to the tires plus because at least they have diagnostic equipment. They stated they did a scan on the computer and it didn't show anything to be wrong.

Thursday, March 16th, 2006 AT 7:13 PM

You could put it up on blocks and run the engine with and without the convertor on. Just a couple of bolts and the convertor is disconnected. You could then start it and see it the power and idle are back. 49,000 miles seems awfully low to have convertor problems. No CEL is on obviously and the timing is ok? I have smelled the rotten egg smell before and it was from a battery that was being overcharged.

Monday, March 20th, 2006 AT 2:50 PM