STARTER RELAY

1993 Honda Del Sol

Alexander Kover

May, 27, 2010 AT 11:37 AM

1993 Honda Del Sol 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Manual 11000 miles

Several years ago I became aware of a common issue with Honda starter relays in hot weather. The engine turns over just fine but it fails to fire. I believe that I developed this problem when I moved to Philadelphia from Buffalo. Where is this relay under the dash, so that I can spray it with a CO2 fire extinguisher to cool it down the next time it happens? Is replacing it an option for somebody who is not a ten year old contortionist midget girl?

May, 27, 2010 AT 3:27 PM

Hi Alexander Kover,

What you are referring to is no the starter relay. If the starter relay fails, you would not be able to crnak the engine.

It should be the PGM-FI main relay that you are referringto and CO2 extinguisher is not going to help. The problem with the relay is that some soldered circuits are cracked and intermittently fails due to the weather.

Remove the relay and getting circuit board resoldered should solve the problem.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/192750_PGMFIRelay92Civic_7.jpg

Alternator testing done right
Air Filter Replacement Ford Escape 2000-2006
Engine Oil Change and Filter Honda CR-V
Oil Change and Filter Replacement Ford Focus