HUMMING NOISE FROM A

Honda Civic

dsonnenberg

June, 6, 2006 AT 3:30 PM

I have a 2000 Honda civic with automatic transmission and 78,000 miles. It has just recently started making a loud humming noise from the front of the car when the RPMs near 3k. I only notice the noise as I drive home from work, when I have the air conditioning on. This made me think it was somehow tied the the AC, but it makes the noise even if the AC and fan are off. I also wondered if it could be a wheel bearing, but it doesn't make the noise as I turn. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance for the help.

Doug Sonnenberg

HondaGuy1212

June, 7, 2006 AT 1:09 PM

Do you have a cold air intake?

dsonnenberg

June, 7, 2006 AT 1:34 PM

I don't have a cold air intake.

I found out some more information about the problem this morning. It does make the problem when it is cooler, I guess I just didn't notice it on the way to work.

Also, I think it may be a response to the wind and not the engine RPMs. As I passed a semi truck that was going the opposite direction, it made the noise as the " shock wave" hit me but then stopped as the truck passed. I'm now guessing that there is something loose in the front of the car that is vibrating as the wind hits it but I can't find anything that is loose.

Thanks,
Doug

Bruce Hunt

June, 12, 2006 AT 11:04 AM

Check the rubber cushions that the hood rests on for a snug seating. There are other things as well like the radiator mounts, etc.

Oil and Filter Replacement Subaru Legacy
Engine Oil Change and Filter BMW X5
Front Pad-Rotor Replacement Subaru Legacy