Civic Compression Test

DUKESLOWRIDE
  • HONDA CIVIC
92, honda, civic VX Hatchback. 102k miles 1.5L Vtec.
I would like to do a compression check on my civic, but I can't find anywhere in my service manual at what psi it should read at. All I find is my compression Ratio (9.3), so I am not sure how to find out what psi it should read at?
Also, am I suppose to disable the fuel pump since it has fuel injection?
Saturday, September 8th, 2007 AT 9:59 PM

Between 125-135 psi give it 20% +/- from highest reading
-1
Sunday, September 9th, 2007 AT 1:19 AM
DUKESLOWRIDE
Am I suppose to disable the fuel pump since it has fuel injection?

Between 125-135 psi give it 20% +/- from highest reading[/quote]
Sunday, September 9th, 2007 AT 11:06 AM
[/quote]

Fuel pump fuse or fuel pump relay-
Sunday, September 9th, 2007 AT 2:05 PM
DUKESLOWRIDE
[/quote:35022848ca]

Fuel pump fuse or fuel pump relay-[/quote]

Where can I locate the fuel pump fuse or relay?
I referred to my service manual and it says nothing about it.
Sunday, September 9th, 2007 AT 3:33 PM
To kill the fuel system-find and remove the PGM-FI Main relay behind the left side of dash near the fuse and relay block.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/12900_92_honda_PFGFI_main_relay_1.jpg

Good Luck HTH

Sunday, September 9th, 2007 AT 7:36 PM
DUKESLOWRIDE
Is there anything else I need to do? Like disable the ignition or anything else for testing compression?
Wednesday, September 12th, 2007 AT 3:26 PM
Is there anything else I need to do? Like disable the ignition or anything else for testing compression?[/Quote:04a1ec94c2]

Go ahead and remove the PGM-FI main relay. Then do your dry and wet check, makes sure you remove all the sparks plugs and mark the wires and also block the throttle plate wide open-
Wednesday, September 12th, 2007 AT 5:49 PM
DUKESLOWRIDE
Is there anything else I need to do? Like disable the ignition or anything else for testing compression?[/Quote:9d5769205e]

Go ahead and remove the PGM-FI main relay. Then do your dry and wet check, makes sure you remove all the sparks plugs and mark the wires and also block the throttle plate wide open-[/quote:9d5769205e]

Can I just hold down the gas pedal all the way when cranking the engine instead of blocking open the throttle? Also when doing the wet test, do you recommend using any special oil like marvel mystery?
Wednesday, September 12th, 2007 AT 6:07 PM
Is there anything else I need to do? Like disable the ignition or anything else for testing compression?[/Quote:13458a0fb4]

Go ahead and remove the PGM-FI main relay. Then do your dry and wet check, makes sure you remove all the sparks plugs and mark the wires and also block the throttle plate wide open-[/quote:13458a0fb4]

Can I just hold down the gas pedal all the way when cranking the engine instead of blocking open the throttle? Also when doing the wet test, do you recommend using any special oil like marvel mystery?[/Quote:13458a0fb4]

You cannot be in two places in one time get a helper while you look at the gauge-10W30 will do it.

You need to puff it atleast 5 times
Wednesday, September 12th, 2007 AT 8:46 PM
DUKESLOWRIDE
Is there anything else I need to do? Like disable the ignition or anything else for testing compression?[/Quote:46117a2cde]

Go ahead and remove the PGM-FI main relay. Then do your dry and wet check, makes sure you remove all the sparks plugs and mark the wires and also block the throttle plate wide open-[/quote:46117a2cde]

Can I just hold down the gas pedal all the way when cranking the engine instead of blocking open the throttle? Also when doing the wet test, do you recommend using any special oil like marvel mystery?[/Quote:46117a2cde]

You need to puff it atleast 5 times[/quote:46117a2cde]

So is that a yes, it will be sufficient to have a helper press down the gas pedal while cranking and me looking at the gauge?
How much oil am I supposed to put into each cylinder?
Thank you for your responses, I really appreciate it.
Wednesday, September 12th, 2007 AT 8:54 PM
Is there anything else I need to do? Like disable the ignition or anything else for testing compression?[/Quote:e08360e9ec]

Go ahead and remove the PGM-FI main relay. Then do your dry and wet check, makes sure you remove all the sparks plugs and mark the wires and also block the throttle plate wide open-[/quote:e08360e9ec]

Can I just hold down the gas pedal all the way when cranking the engine instead of blocking open the throttle? Also when doing the wet test, do you recommend using any special oil like marvel mystery?[/Quote:e08360e9ec]

You need to puff it atleast 5 times[/quote:e08360e9ec]

Thank you for your responses, I really appreciate it.[/Quote:e08360e9ec]

Have the helper do that
Put oil in a squirt bottle and hit it 5X
Wednesday, September 12th, 2007 AT 9:01 PM
DUKESLOWRIDE
Is there anything else I need to do? Like disable the ignition or anything else for testing compression?[/Quote:710a27240a]

Go ahead and remove the PGM-FI main relay. Then do your dry and wet check, makes sure you remove all the sparks plugs and mark the wires and also block the throttle plate wide open-[/quote:710a27240a]

Can I just hold down the gas pedal all the way when cranking the engine instead of blocking open the throttle? Also when doing the wet test, do you recommend using any special oil like marvel mystery?[/Quote:710a27240a]

You need to puff it atleast 5 times[/quote:710a27240a]

Thank you for your responses, I really appreciate it.[/Quote:710a27240a]

Have the helper do that
Put oil in a squirt bottle and hit it 5X[/quote:710a27240a]

I have bled my brakes twice now, and when I press on the brake pedal I still feel it sinking to the floor slowly. Could this mean that my brake master cylinder is bad?
Friday, September 14th, 2007 AT 8:44 PM
Is there anything else I need to do? Like disable the ignition or anything else for testing compression?[/Quote:fc28a70b2f]

Go ahead and remove the PGM-FI main relay. Then do your dry and wet check, makes sure you remove all the sparks plugs and mark the wires and also block the throttle plate wide open-[/quote:fc28a70b2f]

Can I just hold down the gas pedal all the way when cranking the engine instead of blocking open the throttle? Also when doing the wet test, do you recommend using any special oil like marvel mystery?[/Quote:fc28a70b2f]

You need to puff it atleast 5 times[/quote:fc28a70b2f]

Thank you for your responses, I really appreciate it.[/Quote:fc28a70b2f]

Have the helper do that
Put oil in a squirt bottle and hit it 5X[/quote:fc28a70b2f]

Thanks[/quote:fc28a70b2f]

If your foot is sinking gradually it points to the brake Master Cylinder-
Friday, September 14th, 2007 AT 9:25 PM
DUKESLOWRIDE
Is there anything else I need to do? Like disable the ignition or anything else for testing compression?[/Quote:e4b2754571]

Go ahead and remove the PGM-FI main relay. Then do your dry and wet check, makes sure you remove all the sparks plugs and mark the wires and also block the throttle plate wide open-[/quote:e4b2754571]

Can I just hold down the gas pedal all the way when cranking the engine instead of blocking open the throttle? Also when doing the wet test, do you recommend using any special oil like marvel mystery?[/Quote:e4b2754571]

You need to puff it atleast 5 times[/quote:e4b2754571]

Thank you for your responses, I really appreciate it.[/Quote:e4b2754571]

Have the helper do that
Put oil in a squirt bottle and hit it 5X[/quote:e4b2754571]

Thanks[/quote:e4b2754571]

If your foot is sinking gradually it points to the brake Master Cylinder-[/quote:e4b2754571]

I just ran the compression test. For the dry test the results were: cylinder1: 195psi (6 cranks) 2: 200psi (7 cranks) 3: 200psi (8 cranks) 4: 200psi (8 cranks)
wet test results: cylinder 1: 220psi (7 cranks) 2: 230psi (8 cranks) 3: 230psi (8 cranks) 4: 230psi (7 cranks).

I know you told me that it should be reading 125-135psi on the dry test. Why do you think it is consistently reading so much higher?
Friday, September 14th, 2007 AT 10:42 PM