97 KNOCKING CONDITION

1997 Honda Civic

Zoombajohn

May, 31, 2007 AT 12:10 AM

I have a problem with a 1997 honda civil lx with what has been called a knocking condition by a mechanic. It sounds like a valve train knock, and is not a rod or bottom end knock. The car seems to be straining just to go slow speeds. My last engine died because it got dented and ran out of oil. So I had the engine replaced with one that was supposed to have only about 60k on it. Now I have exactly the same problem. It is very loud. It has caused my ears to ring.
It seems to be a little better when it is cold. It has trouble going up hills or mountain passes. Also I wondered if I can get a refund if this is due to the engine just being worn out and tired like they said the last one was. Thank you for any help on this.

Bruce Hunt

May, 31, 2007 AT 1:26 PM

Get a compression test on the cylinders. I am going to bet that your vehicle uses a bit of oil and I might wager that you are not a diligent oil level watcher as many folks aren't. I am merely making an observation, but I would say the engine had more than 60K but you haven't really got a leg to stand on to back on the previous owner.

Brake Pad/rotor Replacement - Front
Engine Oil Change and Filter Ford Bronco