94 ERRATIC SPEEDOMETER

1994 Honda Civic

oneplustwins

August, 7, 2006 AT 11:52 AM

The speedometer in my daughters civic is very erratic. You can be driving along knowing that you are in the 30 mph range, but the speedometer needle jumps around and my settle in the 60 to 80 mph range, then jumb around again and then settle at the correct speed. Any ideas? She also said that the check engine light came on, but has since gone out. Could these possibly be related? Since this car does not have the OBDii, is there an easy way to read the codes?

tazeat

August, 15, 2006 AT 12:41 PM

Yep I used to have this same problem, it seems to happen after a car has sat for a while (like a couple months or something) I think it has to do with the speedometer gauge needing some sort of lubrication. Anyway I took it to a local place called tacoma speedometer just down from my house, gave them the cluster and waited a couple hours, and took it away for about $130 and it worked like new.

Instrument Cluster Replacement GMC Yukon
Coolant Temperature Sender Replacement