91 OIL PRESSURE PROBLEM

1991 Honda Civic

hondaman

February, 19, 2007 AT 7:52 AM

I have a 91 civic with a 1.5 enigne with 257K on it. My problem is this. About a year ago I had problem with the oil light staying on after the engine was started but would go out in about 3-4 seconds. So I installed an oil guage after which I noted that the oil pressure was 70-75 psi when the car was started and settled out around 60 psi when warm, then the pressure would slowly drop off to about 20 psi. I replace the oil pump relief valve and spring from honda. Problem when away till a few days ago. Now the oil pressure is good when I first start the car but when you drive the pressure drops to 10-15 psi. The pressure slowly drops now when you rev the engine. I am really looking at getting a second opinion since it is a big job. Any advice would be helpful.

February, 19, 2007 AT 12:55 PM

You should have changed the pump-could be a clogged oil galleries or the bearings on the Cam/Rod/Main or the journals. Open it up and check the bearing clearance with the plastigage.

Engine Oil Change and Filter Saturn LS1
Engine Oil Change and Filter Mercedes ML350
Engine Oil Change and Filter Replacement
Engine Oil Change and Filter Jeep Wrangler
Engine Oil Change and Filter Mercedes Benz
 Oil Change & Filter Ford Explorer 2000-2005
Engine Oil Change and Filter Chevrolet