2008 Honda Civic engine oil

BMAN12
  • 2008 HONDA CIVIC
I have just bought a brand new civic. I also got a remote starter with the car. Allowing me to start the engine from quite a distance. I liked the idea but I was not sure what it was excally designed for, the actual purpose. The answer I continually get is that it allows your engine to start up and warm up. Giving time for the oil to warm up and get thrown around to keep the engine lubricated. Assuming that this is only needed during winter time when the oil is actually stiffer after sitting inside a cold car for a while. I was wondering if there is a difference between starting your car and letting the engine run for 20 min as opossed to starting it up and driving away? Is it better for the engine to allow it to run first? Is there any difference?
Tuesday, January 8th, 2008 AT 2:06 PM

SERVICE WRITER
IT's not a bad idea to let the engine warm up for a minute, but I believe this was more so for the older carburated models. Todays car is pretty complex and it knows that it is cold and makes the appropriate fuel/air mix adjustments. This is mostly due to the EPA standards to conserve fuel and reduce emmisions.

Personally I get in and go. Unless it's freezing cold out, in which case I'll let in warm up for 5 minutes. The remote starter would save me from walking out there to do this. Except I have a standard.

So to answer your questions, the Remote starter is so you get into a warm car where the heat will be waitng for you. Or A/C of course
Tuesday, January 8th, 2008 AT 2:30 PM
BRUCE HUNT
I suggest getting in and going. I like to take it easy during the first minute or so. Another advantage of the remote starter is the ability to have the car start up at intervals, run and shut itself off. I live in South Dakota and when the mercury drop in the 20 to 30 below range and I know I need the vehicle in the early morning, that feature is nice to ensure that the car will be starting. The remote starter is also fun to scare someone who is getting into their vehicle next to you and knows there is no one in your car.
Tuesday, January 8th, 2008 AT 4:45 PM
SERVICE WRITER
LOL! I knew you had an evil side!
Tuesday, January 8th, 2008 AT 5:02 PM