Timing Belt Alignment Marks for Belt Replacement

HARDLYMOVING
  • 2002 HONDA CIVIC
My camshaft pulley moved during belt installation. Now I'm trying to align the crankshaft pulley marks with the camshaft pulley notches.

The Crankshaft pulley has 4 notches: 3 that are close together with a red mark in between the two. Then to the right of the 3 notches about a 1/4 inch away is one notch by itself. Which notch should I line up with the belt cover V notch to get the engine to TDC before removing the crankshaft pulley for a belt replacement? Isn't the red mark BTDC? Shouldn't I align with notch on the right for TDC?

Also, what do I line up the Camshaft pulley sprocket arm labeled 'UP'? There a two notches 180 degrees apart. 90 degrees left and 90 degrees right from the UP label. Should these notches be parallel with the ground?

Thanks in advance.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/409740_DSC00394_1.jpg

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/409740_DSC00392_2.jpg

Tuesday, September 15th, 2009 AT 4:59 PM

BMRFIXIT
Hope this help let us know if need more or you have more questions

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/99387_Graphic1_507.jpg

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/99387_Graphic2_246.jpg

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/99387_Graphic3_112.jpg

+11
Tuesday, September 15th, 2009 AT 6:20 PM
HARDLYMOVING
I moved the crankshaft pulley to the rightmost mark which according to the diagram is TDC. After doing this, my right camshaft pulley mark IS aligned with the "Top Edge Of Head". However, the left is noticeably lower if you look at my photo. But since the diagram's "UP" sprocket arm appears to be in center line with the camshaft pulley bearing cap behind the pulley and mine is not, I figure retarding the camshaft pulley one cog clockwise will center the pulley's UP arm and bring up the left side camshaft sprocket mark. This, unfortunately, will drop the right mark below the "Top Edge Of Head".

Any thoughts or suggestions?
+3
Tuesday, September 15th, 2009 AT 7:51 PM
BMRFIXIT
Sorry I've never ran to a problem like the one you having <
the only thing I can think of is that the head is a bit tilted and if you can jack it up so you can have a better look get a straight edge and place on the head touching the pulley to give you a better look as to where it is for real

good luck
+3
Wednesday, September 16th, 2009 AT 6:08 AM
HARDLYMOVING
The picture diagram is incorrect. The Camshaft marks are one cam gear tooth below the top of the head. No big deal. Got the engine timing down pat.
+3
Monday, September 21st, 2009 AT 9:22 PM
SASQUACH60
  • 2002 HONDA CIVIC
What is the average cost of a timing belt replacement
Monday, October 8th, 2018 AT 5:28 PM (Merged)
MMPRINCE4000
Anywhere from 3-6 hours labor plus parts. Depends if you replace the tensioner along with belt.
So find the shop hourly rate, belt is around $30 and tensioner is $110, the shop would probably mark it up some (or a lot). You could be looking at $400-700.

It is also important that the belt is changed before the maximum interval, Honda's are interference engines, if belt breaks, you can be looking at a MAJOR expense.

Ps. Does it have 95K or 950K miles :)
+1
RACEFAN966
Ok here is what I found. Now keep in mind I am including replacing the cam and crankshaft seals as the only difference it the price in part as you are already there at this time so the labor don't change but a about 20 dollars or so ok.
Labor comes to around $255
parts are as follows Belt at $22 dollars and the seals are cam seals at about $5 and the crank seal at $8. The only things that might add to the cost is if any of the idles or the tensioner is bad and if you are going to replace any of the fan belts as this will cost no more in labor either because they must come off to do the job so they are only more in parts. Hope this helps. Thanks.
RKG_007
  • 2002 HONDA CIVIC
Other Category problem
2002 Honda Civic Engine Size unknown Wheel Drive Type unknown Manual 90000 miles

I want to buy a used car?I wana know generally when should the timing belt/chain be replaced for honda, toyota, nissan?

I am looking at this 2002 civic with 90K miles. Does it need the belt to be replaced?

Whats the general criteria for hondas, toyotas n nissans(1998 n after).90K/105K miles or 6/8 years?

Pls advise.
Monday, October 8th, 2018 AT 5:29 PM (Merged)
MASTERTECHTIM
Rule of thumb is 60,000 but no more than 100,000 hope this helps. Feedback is much appreciated.
RKG_007
I did some googling. It says. For newer hondas. Its 105K miles.N so I am confused.(The car is not used in extreme conditions)

and how about for cars with timing chain? And for those which are like 98-00 model but less mileage approx 50-70K miles?
TOPGUN1226
Timing chains don't need to be replaced. Timing belts were implemented to make it cheaper and keep costs down, chains are expensive.
ROCKET931
  • 2002 HONDA CIVIC
Other Category problem
2002 Honda Civic 4 cyl Wheel Drive Type unknown Automatic 115, 00 miles

I'm checking on prices for a timing belt. On the average the price is at an average of $20.00. My mechanic is charging me $650 to replace my timing belt. I know the average for something like this is $500.
Monday, October 8th, 2018 AT 5:30 PM (Merged)
TOPGUN1226
I was quoted about 650 for Honda to do the timing belt, the other belt (I think it's the serpentine, not sure on Hondas), and water pump/coolant.

I also got a 10% off coupon from the sales guy because I was like, well, 650 is a lot, there's a garage nearby that is considerably less, but I want you to fix it since I know it'll get done right. So he gave me a 10% discount.
VIKRAMSNEST
  • 2002 HONDA CIVIC
Hi,
I have Honda civic lx 2002. Engine: 1.7L I4 MPI.
1) Does this car have a timing belt or chain,
2)When should I replace my timing belt and water pump.
3)cost for this.
WRENCHTECH
It does have a timing belt. The recommended change interval for that engine is 110K under normal conditions.
The labor to replace the belt is 2.7 hours and maybe an extra hour for the water pump. The parts could run a couple hundred dollars.
SHINNERYOAK
  • 2002 HONDA CIVIC
I'm pretty are my timing belt went out on my civic while I was driving it, I've heard there's a good possibility this could have messed up the engine, I want to know what the odds are that the engine is ruined?
The engine wouldn't be ruined just bent some valves and if the timing belt broke you did
BPBICK
  • 2002 HONDA CIVIC
Does a 2002 Honda Civic EX 4 door sedan have a timing belt or chain? I'm considering purchasing a used Civic with 140,000 miles on it.
MHPAUTOS
Hi there,

This engine has a timing belt, it should have been changed at 110,000 Mls.

PITCREW94
This civic have timming Belt. It should be replace 90,000 Miles.
+1