Both front brakes stick

2002CIVIC1.7
  • 2002 HONDA CIVIC
Four cylinder two wheel drive manual.

This problem has been happening ever since I replaced the driver side caliper (about two months), shortly after that I bought the passenger side caliper (one month) thinking that was the problem. But no. Recently I noticed the calipers were backwards, I asked for the left side caliper and got the right side caliper. So the bleeder valve was on the bottom. Switched them around and it worked fine for a night and the next morning, I got a little cocky though and sure enough I was on the side of the highway for fifteen more minutes. So far I have wasted about an hour of my life sitting on the side of the road. Please help!
A day later after bleeding the brakes, this time it happened while I was driving, left home stopped at the end of my road, stopped at the next stop sign, drove about 20 km to Tim Horton's went through the drive threw with no problems, however 3 km down the road after leaving Tim's the wheel started shaking and it was obvious with letting off the gas and slowly stopping. I pulled into a carpool lot, shut it off and checked the cap, nothing, no trapped air so it has to be venting properly, the fluid was a little darker then when I put it in last night. Sat for twenty minutes started it up again, pedal was like a rock but they were free enough to drive back home, pulled out of the carpool got up to about 90 km and they freed up totally just after I passed Tim's again. The pedal went back its usual position, it still feels weird though and I have no ABS or CEL lights on on the dash.
Friday, February 12th, 2010 AT 3:48 PM

KHLOW2008
Hi 2002civic1.7,

If the problem is occurring only on one wheel, then it could be the flexible hose that is faulty resulting int the caliper sticking. If both brakes are sticking, check the brake pedal free play. Insufficient free play would cause the calipers to seize up after travelling.

If you had replaced with used calipers, I would suggest servicing the caliper pistons, if it is dirty, it would stick and cause overheating which would seize the brakes.
-1
Sunday, February 14th, 2010 AT 5:39 AM
2002CIVIC1.7
Hi KHLow2008 thanks for the reply, I really appreciate it.

I have replaced the calipers with a new/refurbished, I bought them from the parts store not a junkyard.

It seems to be only sticking on one side because one time the driver side was smoking and when I looked at the other side it was just really hot. I have a new hose coming in a few days I had to order it, be here Tuesday.

Yesterday I was working on it and when I went to bleed I noticed the "driver side" was sticking, so bad I could not turn the hub with my hand (i did this with the car off and pumped the brakes three or four times, until hard), as soon as I let the bleeder off the wheel frees up, the passenger side spins freely with pumping up the brakes then trying to turn it. So I am going say it is only the driver side that sticks, but when they stick both sides get really hot. So weird.

When checking this way should I drive until they stick then check the bleeder or did how I explained it work the same way?

Brake pedal free play? My pedal feels normal most of the time (three to four inches before they start grabbing) only when they start to stick the pedal becomes rock hard.

Would the pedal become hard with only one wheel sticking?

Is there any kind of lube I can put on the piston or is the brake fluid enough?
When I had them off I pushed the brake pedal and they moved out about a 1/8"-1/4" and was sucked back in a few seconds later. All slider pins are freely moving, all pads are freely moving. Piston moves back when putting new pads on without touching the bleeder to relieve any pressure.

I also noticed that when I put the reservoir cap on the rubber diaphragm, there is always a flap of rubber that hangs out on one side, kind of like the rubber is to big for the cap/hole.

I will try the new hose! There are a couple chaff marks on it from dropping it (when I have them off I rest them on top of the rotor) a couple times they have fell off (now I just leave one bolt loose and flip them up). Thank you for you advice! :)
Sunday, February 14th, 2010 AT 10:06 AM
JOHNTESS03
Hi 2002civic1.7,

I have the same exact car a 2002 1.7L Civic and have the same problems right now that you do. I was wondering if you ever figured out the problem. This has been happening for months and put six new calipers, rotors, and brake pads in since then. A few days ago I put in new Calipers with the brake mounting brackets too (because I thought I warped my old ones from the heat). I got three miles and brake pedal got rock hard again and brakes were sticking, by the time I got it home smoke was coming out on each side. Most of the time it has been the driver side that has been sticking but every now and then both will. I also tried replacing both the flexible brake hoses and it did nothing. My master cylinder cap is also the same as yours its ripped and seems like the brake fluid made it swell up bigger so it does not fit inside all the way anymore. I was thinking of replacing the master cylinder now to see if that works. But I feel like driving it off a cliff more than anything.

Thanks,
John
Friday, March 26th, 2010 AT 4:57 PM
HECTOR COSME
I have read alot on this topic I have the same problem with my 2002 Civic, and I found the problem it is not the caliper or booster or adjust any screw, follow the line that comes out the master cylinder that connect in to a single block that spread to all wheels that is your problem. The liquid goes in to the caliper cause of the pressure but when you release the pedal that part is not allowing the fluid to returned back and that is why the brake never release the rotors.
+6
Tuesday, July 12th, 2016 AT 11:19 PM