2006 Honda Civic

DANDANDAN182
  • 2006 HONDA CIVIC
Brakes problem
2006 Honda Civic Front Wheel Drive Manual 26000 miles

My brakes are stuck when I drive it feels like ive got my foot on the brake.
My garage says that I need new calipers and that a valve has gone. Is this correct as I think im being conned into new calipers!
Monday, January 25th, 2010 AT 12:00 PM

KHLOW2008
Hi dandandan182,

Without testing and visual inspections of the calipers, it is not possible for us to comment if the diagnosis is correct. It is possible the calipers are sticking due to the pistons seizing.

Whether servicing of the calipers or replacement is required would depend on the piston condition.

Did this occur only after repairs of the brake system or replacement of the brake pads?
Friday, January 29th, 2010 AT 11:46 AM
DANDANDAN182
Thank you for your reply!

Its my front calipers which 'need' replacing.
In october the garage replaced the pads and its only over the last few weeks that the brakes have been 'sticky' (some days worse than others)

Ive checked with them and they have advised the piston has completely seized. A few peopl I know think its a bit strange because my car is only just 4 years old.
Friday, January 29th, 2010 AT 1:51 PM
KHLOW2008
Pistons would seize if the dust cover is broken allowing water to get to the pistons and over time the piston would seize.

Yes, it is indeed too new and low mileage for the pistons to be bda. I would suggest checking the brake pedal to booster free play adjustment. Insufficient free play would cause the brakes to drag as the brakes would be partially engaged while driving.

Servicng of the brake calipers might solve the problem if the pistons are not corroded due to water entry.

Check the slider bolts, if they stick, it would cause dragging as well.
Saturday, January 30th, 2010 AT 12:10 AM