2001 Honda Civic Stuck in Limp home mode

LPUCKETT
  • 2001 HONDA CIVIC
I recently did a timing belt and water pump on my civic. About a week after I did it I was driving and all of a sudden the engine jerked and it went into limp home mode. I rechecked timing and everything is all good, but now I can't communicate with the vehicle using a scantool to figure out what is goin on. All of the connectors for the cam sensor and crank sensor are good. What the heck is going on?
Wednesday, August 18th, 2010 AT 7:21 AM

WRENCHTECH
I'm not sure how you determined it's in a limp mode but if it is in a limp mode, it would be because there is a stored trouble code that has to be resolved. Your going to have to get it scanned somehow. If your scan tool won't work, then try a different one.
-2
Wednesday, August 18th, 2010 AT 7:37 AM
LPUCKETT
Ok, got the code. P0335 Crank Position sensor cicuit malfunction. I thought it might be this code, so last night I inspected the plug connector going to the sensor and it looked ok. I really didn't look to closely though, there may be pins corroded or bent but it pluggd in nice and easy so I didn't think much about it. I mainly checked to see that the wiring hadn't come loose and into contact with the crank pulley and casued a short, but that didn't happen. Could it be the crank sensor, they aren't to complicated, just a simple hall effect. Oh yeah, I forgot to mention, the timing had jumped one tooth somehow. Could this have damaged the sensor somehow when it did jump?
Wednesday, August 18th, 2010 AT 10:02 AM
WRENCHTECH
If the timing is off, that could set the code because it wasn't in synch with the cam sensor. The crank sensor supplies the reference signal for both ignition and injector pulse so it wouldn't run without a Crank signal.
Wednesday, August 18th, 2010 AT 12:03 PM
LPUCKETT
Ok, i'll recheck the timing again. I'm pretty sure that it's ok, but I could be off by one tooth. Any suggestions for lining the cam marks up with the head? I know the two marks are are just supposed to be lined up flush with the head, but obviously my eyes may be a tooth off.
Wednesday, August 18th, 2010 AT 12:39 PM
WRENCHTECH
Is your engine a Vtec?
Wednesday, August 18th, 2010 AT 12:49 PM
LPUCKETT
Yes, it's a 1.7 L SOHC VTEC
Wednesday, August 18th, 2010 AT 1:18 PM
WRENCHTECH
There are 2 marks that will line up even with the top edge of the head. You can place a straight edge across the marks on the outside of the pulley and align that with the edge of the head.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/561653_Timing_mark_01_Civic_17_Vtec_1.gif

Wednesday, August 18th, 2010 AT 1:28 PM
LPUCKETT
Ok, I just set the timing after installing a new tensioner, which I believe is what started this whole mess. The belt is much tighter now than it was when I did the job the first time. I think that it caused the belt to slip and tooth or two because it happened around 4,000 rpm and I was using the engine to brake. So I just did all that and the car is still in limp home mode where the rpm's won't go past 3,500 and it is still throwing the code for the crank shaft sensor. Could the sensor have been damaged? All the mechanical parts are lined up correctly.
Wednesday, August 18th, 2010 AT 6:12 PM
WRENCHTECH
What is the exact code number?
Wednesday, August 18th, 2010 AT 6:19 PM
LPUCKETT
The same one as before P0335
Wednesday, August 18th, 2010 AT 6:38 PM
LPUCKETT
The same one as before, P0335 Crank Sensor Circuit
Wednesday, August 18th, 2010 AT 6:43 PM
WRENCHTECH
Sorry, I missed it before.

I have a flow chart for that code but it's too big to upload here. I'm going to try a couple links here to see if any work for you.
Wednesday, August 18th, 2010 AT 6:50 PM
WRENCHTECH
I'm looking at the flow chart posted right in my answer.
Thursday, August 19th, 2010 AT 7:49 AM
LPUCKETT
I don't know why but I can't see the links, i've tried two seperate computers and still can't see it. Do you think you could email me the link. Leighpuckett@yahoo. Com Thanks
Thursday, August 19th, 2010 AT 8:29 AM
WRENCHTECH
They aren't links. The whole procedure is showing right in my answer. I don't know why your not seeing it.
Thursday, August 19th, 2010 AT 8:44 AM
LPUCKETT
I don't know why either. This is the only computer I have available. Is there any way to get that information to my email, or what program were you using to post the information, maybe all I need is the software to view it.
Thursday, August 19th, 2010 AT 9:55 AM
LPUCKETT
Ok, so after many timing rechecks and sleepless nights the car is finally runnig flawlesly. Here is the breakdown of what happened. I bought this car with 90k on it and always wondered if the timing belt had been done on it, but I waited untill 150k to find out, which was last week. The timing belt had never been done before and half of it(shavings) were pilied up in the bottom of the timing cover. So I replaced the tiiming belt and water pump, foregoing the belt tensioner. I gues I should have spent the extra 80$ for it becasue this was the cause of all my woes. The tensionser was worn and about a week after I did the belt my timing skipped a tooth because the tensioner failed. Here is where it snowballs into a disaster. Luckily this motor is non-interfereance so I didn't have to worry about bent valves or any of that mess. So the belt skipped a tooth and the car went into limp home mode where the rpm's wouldn't go over 3,500. The next moring when trying to start the car it jumped even more timing and in the process the battery died. So after installing the battery I tried one more time to start the car to no evail. During the process of trying to start the car so many times I ended up fouling out the spark plugs. So I reset timing later that day only to find the car in limp home mode still. I couldn't figure out what the heck was going on. That's when I contacted you. So I rechecked timing again the next day and this time replaced the timing tensioner, this made the belt sooooo much tighter than before and I imediatley knew what the source of my problem was. But the car was still in limp home mode. I refused to believe that there could have been more than one failure at the same time for my car, the tensioner going bad, skipping a tooth, and then the crank sesnor taking a dump. But after running through your tree it really had gone bad somehow. One new Crank position sensor later and it's running like a champ. I know it'spossible for multiple parts to fail simultaneously, but usually highly unlikely. So in the end, a new tensioiner, new sensor, new battery and new plugs got me back on the road. Thanks for all your help and pointing me in the right direction! :)
+2
Friday, August 20th, 2010 AT 7:09 AM
WRENCHTECH
Glad to hear you finally got it fixed. Please leave feedback if our happy.
+1
Friday, August 20th, 2010 AT 8:07 AM
QUINN GILES
Man seems like I'm having the same problem. Just got timing belt and water pump done and after the car heats up goes into limp mode, won't go over 3000 rpm. The mechanic said he'd put in a new crankshaft sensor for free because he thinks it's because he unplugged it and that messed it up. The scanner said the same thing. So now I got the crankshaft sensor in and same problem is occurring.
Friday, December 11th, 2015 AT 2:48 AM