2000 Honda Civic ENGINE LIGHT

EJMANIA
  • 2000 HONDA CIVIC
2000 Honda Civic 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Manual 130000 km(engine just swapped 3 or 40000km ago)

Thanks god. Looks like I kinda just found right spot.

I have 2000 civic sir with b18c5 itr motor(98��) ; I purchased this after work done

I have engine light coming on after engine temp raises up to normal (like driving 15min after starting up) . Then, goes off when I start it up again. And coming up again few mins after driving( normal temp).
so I assumed o2 sensor then, I jacked up and looked at it.

then, I found just unpluged second o2 sensor and I didnt see primary o2 sensor. The hole for sensor on exhaust pipe was just capped. (It has oem Sir catback with itr muffler and magnaflow high flow cat)

Then, I pulgged second 02 sensor, checked it again, still light�s coming on, so I assumed sensor has problem. But I havent changed yet. Incase it�s wiring problem.

then, I was Just cuirous for primary sensor. So I try to find the connector from engine bay to install new one since it was just missing. Then I couldnt find. As per Service manual, It should have it though. I dont really know well about ecm wiring, though.

I just worry about smog test. Other than that. Just driving so ^0^ just fine

SORRY FOR LONG READING ^^;
tHANK YOU

ps. I checked with obd2 code reader, but it didnt show any code, just said read forever.
Saturday, August 15th, 2009 AT 1:21 PM

KHLOW2008
Hi ejmania,

Thank you for the donation.

When the MIL shows, an error should be stored and would show on the scanner.

Either the scanner is not compatible or the PCM memory is not being retained due to a blown memory fuse.

The best way to check for code is to get the scan done without turning the engine off when the MIL shows.

From your description, it is not easy to understand what is wrong and the surprising thing is you are unable to find the primary O2 sensor wire harness.

The connector should be coming down from the wireharness of the einge below the intake manifold.
Sunday, August 16th, 2009 AT 10:47 AM
EJMANIA
Hi

Thank you for replying my question.

First, I tried to check MIL with innova OBD2 CODE READER again without turning engine off.

Reader says just "read" forever again and sometimes "Err"
(i tried several times). So I checked if fuse was blown,
But it's good conditions.

I guess code reader can communiate with PCM/ECM
is that right?

Second, I checked with service check connector by using a piece of wire. Then I found MIL is blinking.
Does this mean it has problem but cant retain in computer?

Third, I believe the primary connector should be somewhere. So I will try to look for it minutely again.
Here is my question. Does this primary o2s concern fuel emmision? It should be installed to get l
clean emmision? Because I heard secondary o2 is for the emmision control after converter.

I just failed my emmision test with high HC. This is all my issue. I want to pass before I spent too much money on it. I hope I will be solved after I just replace cheap part like o2 sensor. BUt I am not sure what is wrong.
Sunday, August 16th, 2009 AT 3:55 PM
KHLOW2008
Yes, possibly the scanner that you have is not commiunicating with the PCM.

When the MIL is blinking with the SCS bridged, the blinking is telling you the code.

A short blink = 1.
A delayed blink = 10.

Code would repeat itself once all codes are shown.
Count the blinks and let me know what it says.

The rear sensor would be the final monitor for the emission. Front O2 sensor would cause emission failure as well as it monitors the running condition and if it is faulty, a preset value would be used and this is would be a richer fuel mixture being set by the PCM.
Sunday, August 16th, 2009 AT 4:10 PM
EJMANIA
Hi,

It keep blinking same frequency forever. There is no longer blinks. It blinks short and short. Forever(I counted almost 400 ;)

I guess It's because no primary o2 sensor installed
is that right?

If I have to order it, Sensor has to have 4 wires ( with two heater wires), right?

Hope problem will be solved.
Sunday, August 16th, 2009 AT 7:31 PM
KHLOW2008
Blink, pause blink, pause blink = Code 1, a fault with the O2 sensor.

That is a code for the O2 sensor and yes, it is a 4 wire sensor and preferably should be OEM as generic O2 sensors sometimes do not work well with Honda.

However the vehicle is a Honda which is originally equipped with a 1.6 L engine, transplanting it with a 1.8 L engine might mean some of the wire harness are different. You might have to do some rewiring.

The original HO2S sensor for 1.6 is at front of engine so the wire harness could be in fron instead of at rear where you could not find it.
Monday, August 17th, 2009 AT 3:07 AM
EJMANIA
I ordered denso direct fit( for 98 INTegra type-r b18c5)O2 sensor since I couldn't see any old sensor and connector.

I have a question for the location. On the manual, honda civic sir 2000 which have primary sensor under the intake manifold instead of front of the engine. Isn' it correct? (That's why I never looked around fromnt area.I will look for it though)

And if I have to rewire something, What I should do exactly?
Monday, August 17th, 2009 AT 6:51 AM
KHLOW2008
If the wiring is at front, you would have to extend them so it can reach the sensor location on rear of engine.

Yes, for some models the sensor harness is at rear of engine.
Monday, August 17th, 2009 AT 8:08 AM
EJMANIA
Thank you for your answers so far.

I will try to install the sensor when I recieve the part I ordered.
Then, Still problem occurs.I will ask you again.(Hope not happen again ;)

Thank you
Monday, August 17th, 2009 AT 9:01 AM
KHLOW2008
No problem.

Just reply to this post and I will get back to you once I am online if you have any questions.
Monday, August 17th, 2009 AT 9:20 AM
EJMANIA
Hi, again ;

I just installed sensor and tested it.

The engine light's gone now Thank you!

I am going to get Emission test soon again to pass it.

I wonder if I should reset the PCM/ECM not to make fuel mixture richer which it had been preset so far without front O2 sensor

Or Because it has been just installed and MIL's off, Is it ok to go for test?
Thursday, August 27th, 2009 AT 2:16 PM
KHLOW2008
You are welcomed. Glad to be of service.

It is better to reset before going for the inspection. DO NOT disconnect the battery to reset. Using a scanner would ensure the PCM is ready for testing without the relearn process.
If you do not have a scanner, Autozone can do it free for you.
Friday, August 28th, 2009 AT 8:32 AM