2000 Honda Civic Car won't start... No spark

NGSX468
  • 2000 HONDA CIVIC
I have a 2000 Honda Civic LX, and the car turns over fine, but it will not start. I checked to see if there is spark, and there is no spark. Now, people told me it could be either the coil or the ignition control module. If it is the ignition control module, how do I replace it? The cam seems to be in the way of the screws to the ICM. Any help would be great!
Friday, February 13th, 2009 AT 12:32 PM

F4I_GUY
To remove the ICM, you remove all the female connectors going to it. And there will either be two philip head screws that fastener the ICM to the top of the distributor housing, or there will can be 8mm fasteners that bolt up from the outside of the housing.

Once the fasteners are removed, pull the ICM up and straight out. Keep in mind you must remove the rotor to access the ICM
Friday, February 13th, 2009 AT 6:02 PM
NGSX468
I got to that point, and I see the screws, but it appears that the cam is in the way of the screws...
Friday, February 13th, 2009 AT 6:19 PM
F4I_GUY
Can you post a picture of your distributor? Honda uses two different distributors and it'll be hard for me to find a picture of both and circle which screws are which.

But trust me, they reluctor wheel shaft is not in the way. Are there screws or bolts fastening the ICM from the outside?
Friday, February 13th, 2009 AT 6:22 PM
F4I_GUY

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/276698_ignitor_removal_1.jpg

This is what it should look like. I highlighted the screws in red
Friday, February 13th, 2009 AT 6:29 PM
SKRUBLIFE
I have a 95 honda civic 1.5 V-TEC that is doing the same thing. I spent money I didn't need to speend trying to fix it inclueding buying a new distributer. It seems to me by looking at all the posts for honda civics, that this problem happens ALOT. In a repair book, it says that if one component of a destributer goes bad u need to replace the whole thing. Beleive me it will save u money. I gave up on my car and had it towed to a shop, it is getting worked on as we speek. When I get it back, I am going to post what was wrong with it in hopes that it will save time and money for others.
Wednesday, February 25th, 2009 AT 4:09 PM
F4I_GUY
You do not need to replace the whole distributor if it has failed.

You can purchase the ICM and ignition coil seperately. You cannot purchase the sensors however, but they are removeable and can be replaced with a good known sensor. This is not recommended by honda though.
Wednesday, February 25th, 2009 AT 7:11 PM
SKRUBLIFE
Right, not recommended and alot more expensive. 2 new parts for a destributer cost as much if not more than just a new destributer.
Wednesday, February 25th, 2009 AT 11:35 PM