DYING AT STOPS AFTER BATTERY REPLACEMENT

1998 Honda Civic

molpie2

April, 14, 2010 AT 7:26 PM

1998 Honda Civic Manual 64K miles

Replaced a dead battery. Started up fine. Next AM, went to do errands. Ran fine at first. Then, started dying at every stop (though would restart). Battery light was one of the two lights that remained on when car died. Was on the way to the dealer anyway with the old battery, so died and re-started 3 times until I got there.

They had the car all day and couldn't duplicate the problem, nor did they have any idea whatsoever what is/was going on (and yes, they checked the battery and its installation, and it was fine, as was the alternator, etc.). And as far as " resetting" idle speed or some such thing, they said that that didn't/shouldn't apply to this particular car as it was too old for such computerized parts.

So, does anyone have an explanation for this and do I need to be worried about this happening again in the future, with the car dying at a less opportune time and place? And if it DOES happen, will it always restart?
Thanks.
m.

Not Charging Battery

Battery Will Not Charge

April, 18, 2010 AT 12:55 AM

Hi molpie2,

Intermittent stalling are usually caused by a sticking Idle Air Control valve.

It is not related to the battery replacement and was just coincidence that it occurred.

I would suggest getting the throttle body and IAC cleaned.

Battery Replacement Ford Escape 2000-2006
Battery Replacement Guide
Battery Replacement Ford Contour 1996-2000
Battery Replacement Honda Civic 2006-2011
Battery Replacement