1998 Honda Civic A/C Compressor Clutch

• 4 POSTS
  • 1998 HONDA CIVIC

Air Conditioning problem
1998 Honda Civic 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 100000 miles

A few weeks ago my wife's car's (1998 Honda Civic LX -Sanden engine, 4 cyl, auto, 4 door) A/C compressor broke. The clutch froze and would not disengage. Needless to say it is the rainy season in Oregon and fog is a constant. Several issues have occured, One of which is the loss of the refigerant.
So I purchased a used unit and installed in place of old one. Pretty easy. Then I bought a refrigerant charging kit to reinstall new refrigerant. When I turned on car and set all A/C to high and high speed fan all lights where showing on and working. But I noticed the clutch was not engaging with the Compressor unit so I could not charge it. Went to manuals and found where fuse was and it was blown from previous issue so I replaced it and still no engagement. I also noticed in manual that it is controlled thru a rely switch but when I looked for the relay none was to be found. Any ideas where I can find the relay for the A/C comp. Clutch.
Also do you have and ideas as to what I should look for next. My wife is always asking when is car going to done and want to finish this item.
Thanks for taking your time to answer my question.

Thursday, November 13th, 2008 AT 11:38 AM

You didn't say that you evacuate the system after installing the "new" compressor. There is air in the A/C system that has to be evacuated (the entire system has to have vacuum) before you can introduce new refrigerant into the system.

A/C compressor clutch relay s located in the under hood fuse/relay box, right rear corner of engine compartment.

Thursday, November 13th, 2008 AT 9:31 PM