KEY STUCK IN IGNITION

Honda Accord

czy4heels

December, 3, 2006 AT 9:00 PM

I drive a 1990 Honda Accord automatic with about 145,000 miles on it. When the weather gets real cold (below freezing) the key gets stuck in the ignition after I turn the car off. I can take it out once the car recognizes that it is in park. The cooler is gets, the longer it takes for the car to recognize it is in park, and the longer it takes to get the key out. What is wrong? And what can I do?

Bruce Hunt

December, 4, 2006 AT 7:14 AM

I would say that the locking mechanism on the steering column needs to be lubricated. It appears to drag with the cold weather.

czy4heels

December, 4, 2006 AT 8:51 AM

That may help and I will try that, but why does it take so long for the car to realize that it is in park?

Bruce Hunt

December, 4, 2006 AT 11:19 AM

I think it reconizes it is in park but the colder it gets the stickier the release gets. The signal to let the key go is there just as fast on a warm day as on a cold day.

GM Key Fob Programming
Battery Replacement Ford Contour 1996-2000
Battery Replacement Ford Escape 2000-2006
Battery Replacement
Battery Replacement Honda Civic 2006-2011
Battery Replacement Guide