HIGH RPM, , 100K

1988 Honda Accord

melroyz

November, 4, 2006 AT 3:04 AM

My honda Accord has a relatively high RPM when being driven, 3000+ at 50MPH (the idling RPM is set to 1000). This causes the engine to overheat on long drives. This happened after a quack auto mechanic adjusted my carburetor.
Any advises how to get this rectified?

Bruce Hunt

November, 4, 2006 AT 8:05 AM

Any advises how to get this rectified?

The high rpm is totally dependant upon the amount of pedal you put to the engine. If the engine rpms are that high are you sure the tranny is shifted into overdrive? The low end idle of 1000 is high. I would have it set lower to around 750.

The overheating although associated with the engine is probably being causes by something else such as low coolant, bad thermostat, plugged system, bad radiator cap, etc.

Check the tranny for the shifting, you havent said if it is auto or manual.

melroyz

November, 5, 2006 AT 3:28 AM

Hi Bruce. Thank you for the quick response.
My honda is auto transmission. I will surely have the tranny checked out.
As far as setting the idling RPM to 750, I have tried that and the engine shuts off when I have to stop the car with the gear engaged in drive (at stop signs). Please advise.

Bruce Hunt

November, 5, 2006 AT 9:20 PM

How are you raising the idle speed? At 750 she should purr. Take some time to pull off the Idle Air Control Valve and clean it. Take it apart and clean the screens. Clean it very well and see if the makes a difference.

melroyz

November, 11, 2006 AT 3:02 AM

A few taps on the Idle Air Control Valve with a screw driver really improved the idling rpm. As suggested by you I think this could have been the most likely cause for the falling rpm/stalling engine. By the way, how do you check the tranny for overdrive?

Bruce Hunt

November, 11, 2006 AT 3:33 AM

Well I suspect your car has a position on the shifter of D3 and D4. If you run it in the D3 position to about 50 mph and then shift to D4 it should shift the tranny and you should see the rpm go down. The car should now be in overdrive.

melroyz

November, 12, 2006 AT 3:19 AM

Thanks Bruce. I will try this and get back to you.

Vacuum Leak Test and Repair - All Cars