97 ACCORD STUCK IN PARK

• swellpowell
  • 1997 Honda Accord

I just bought a 1997 Honda Accord SE. It has almost 150 K miles. The (automatic) shifter is stuck in Park. Pressing the brake peddle nor unlocking the wheel unlocks the shifter. In addition, the key can now be removed from the ignition if the shifter is in Neutral, or Drive. Where do I start? Could it be the brake/release solenoid or relay, the ignition itself, or shifter linkage?

Saturday, December 16th, 2006 AT 4:49 PM

• Bruce Hunt

Start with the brake release. I assume that by putting the key in to the slot on the housing of the shifter that the car can be shifted, right?

Sunday, December 17th, 2006 AT 12:01 AM
  • swellpowell

Yeah,

unlocking the shifter with the key DOES unlock the shifter. So the brake pedal release, then?

Sunday, December 17th, 2006 AT 5:11 PM
  • Bruce Hunt

That is the place to start looking. Pain in the butt working up in that tight location. There are really very few components that are involved in this process. The switch on the brake telling it the pedal is depressed and the release for the shift. I wouldn't replace the switch on the pedal but rather test the switch and the sensor in the release.

Monday, December 18th, 2006 AT 8:43 AM