97 STUCK IN PARK

1997 Honda Accord

swellpowell

December, 16, 2006 AT 4:49 PM

I just bought a 1997 Honda Accord SE. It has almost 150 K miles. The (automatic) shifter is stuck in Park. Pressing the brake peddle nor unlocking the wheel unlocks the shifter. In addition, the key can now be removed from the ignition if the shifter is in Neutral, or Drive. Where do I start? Could it be the brake/release solenoid or relay, the ignition itself, or shifter linkage?

Bruce Hunt

December, 17, 2006 AT 12:01 AM

Start with the brake release. I assume that by putting the key in to the slot on the housing of the shifter that the car can be shifted, right?

swellpowell

December, 17, 2006 AT 5:11 PM

Yeah,

unlocking the shifter with the key DOES unlock the shifter. So the brake pedal release, then?

Bruce Hunt

December, 18, 2006 AT 8:43 AM

That is the place to start looking. Pain in the butt working up in that tight location. There are really very few components that are involved in this process. The switch on the brake telling it the pedal is depressed and the release for the shift. I wouldn't replace the switch on the pedal but rather test the switch and the sensor in the release.

Transmission Service Toyota Tacoma
Transmission Fluid Replacement Mercedes Benz