CHECK ENGINE LIGHT

2000 Honda Accord

Shouran

March, 18, 2008 AT 11:52 AM

2000 Honda Accord 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 82,000 miles

My check engine light came on last year and Honda ended up replacing the catalytic converter under warranty. Then it came on again about a month ago and my research indicated it could be another emissions systems component, the EGR valve. I am wondering what else it could be and if it could even be that I need a new muffler?

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Scott Houran

sammo18

March, 18, 2008 AT 10:04 PM

2006 Honda accord V6s no longer have an EGR valve they use a Variable valve timing module that is in the place of an EGR valve. Take your car to Autozone and/or Kragen have them run the ODB-II diagnostic tool on your vehicle to pinpoint and rule what itcan't be.
Oh, Yea, that V-TEC soleniod can go bad too. You'll find out what is actually wrong when you take it to get it diag. More than likely it is the O2 sensors that went bad in this case I think there are 4 of them in your car one on each side of the engine where the exhaust manifold are and two more under your car going from each downpipe to the each of the catalytic converters for each corresponding side of your car.

Shouran

March, 19, 2008 AT 7:36 AM

I have a 2000 Accord V6 not a 2006 and I am positive it does have an EGR valve. There are several posts on the net stating that a bad EGR valve can cause the check engine light to come on in this car.