1999 Honda Accord engine randomly shuts off while driving and stalls.

HKEPHART
  • 1999 HONDA ACCORD

1999 Honda Accord 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 250000 miles

So first off let me say this car has been driven into the ground. A little over 250k miles and has had almost no service on it except probably oil changes for the last 50k miles. While im driving the engine sometimes randomly shuts off. I have to pull over and put it from drive into park or neutral then restart the car. Theres no pattern or time frames of when this happens. Sometimes 3-4 times a day. Sometimes it won't happen for a couple weeks. Long drives, short drives you name it. Some people told me to check the fule filter but I read online that in this year and model the fuel filter is inside the gas and is supposed to be rated for life. Also if you do get it replaced its ridiculously exspensive. Obviously with a car in this shape im not trying to put too much back into the car.

Wednesday, September 29th, 2010 AT 2:35 PM

F4I_GUY

It's most likely the ignition switch acting up on you. This is a popular failing item.

+1
Wednesday, September 29th, 2010 AT 4:08 PM
CALMERNODRAMA

Thank you guys for providing this service. You are angels. I was happy to make a donation. Keep up the great work. I have been racking my brain for some time now trying to understand why my 1999 Honda Accord EX stalls while driving. I changed the plugs, wires & distributor cap. The faulty ignition switch makes so much sense.

Wednesday, February 15th, 2017 AT 7:43 PM
2CARPROS KEN

Thank you for the donation, when you had the distributor cap off was the inside covered in rust colored dust? This is a sign the distributor is going bad when is a very common problem with those cars. You can get a rebuilt one from Amazon.

Please let us know happens so it will help others.

Best, Ken

Sunday, February 19th, 2017 AT 2:02 PM
ASHLEYMORGAN
  • 1999 HONDA ACCORD
  • MERGED

My car just cut off on me on my way home its done that to me a few other times befor but it would always start back. This time it wouldnt so I coasted it offthe rd. Pulledit home I have replaced the ignition coil, still wouldnt start, replaced ignition switch, STILL NOTHING, replaced the coil wire. STILL want start. I also replaced the rotor button what else could it be PEASE HELP!

Sunday, February 19th, 2017 AT 2:08 PM
RIVERMIKERAT
  • MERGED

Have it scanned for codes and let us know what you find.

Sunday, February 19th, 2017 AT 2:08 PM
ASHLEYMORGAN
  • MERGED

I did at o'reillys an for some unknown reason cleard the codes so it has none from my understanding now the car has to run again befor any codeswill show:( :(

Sunday, February 19th, 2017 AT 2:08 PM
KHLOW2008
  • MERGED

When it could not start, you need to check what is missing. Check out the following link on what to look for.

http://www.2carpros.com/articles/car-cranks-but-wont-start

Sunday, February 19th, 2017 AT 2:08 PM
ASHLEYMORGAN
  • MERGED

Ok I tested most of all that but there is no spark on the coil wire.

Sunday, February 19th, 2017 AT 2:08 PM
KHLOW2008
  • MERGED

Ensure you have battery voltage at the ignition coil with ignition turned on AND while cranking. If yes, you could have a fault with the Ignition Control Module.

-1
Sunday, February 19th, 2017 AT 2:08 PM
KHLOW2008
  • MERGED

The other component that would cause a no spark condition would be the Crank Position Sensor.

Sunday, February 19th, 2017 AT 2:09 PM
EDDIERDZ
  • 1999 HONDA ACCORD
  • MERGED

1999 Honda Accord 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 134174 miles

I notice when I put the key on the ignition the panel lights start blinking after that i'm driving the car just fine then the car shut down I have to stop put it in park crank it up again then drive fine and shut down again what's the problem electrical or can be something else please help than you

Sunday, February 19th, 2017 AT 2:09 PM
HONDA TECH 1818
  • 548 POSTS
  • MERGED

The electrical part of the ignition is bad.

Sunday, February 19th, 2017 AT 2:09 PM
GOTTSM00
  • 1999 HONDA ACCORD
  • MERGED

1999 Honda Accord 4 cyl All Wheel Drive Automatic 191000 miles

My engine will stumble and die. It will go for sometimes 2 days working fine and then suddenly stall. Seems to happen most often after driving for 5-10 minutes, shutting off for 10-30 minutes and then upon restarting will die within a minute. Once it dies it tries to start but sounds like ignition timing is off. After cooling for a while (the longer it cools usually means it will run longer) it will restart barely, run for a mile, and die again if it hasn't sat long enough or most times perfectly after completely cooled. It has never died and not restarted after sitting overnight. I have repalced Map sensor, ignition coil, ignition module, dist. Cap, wires, plugs, main fuel relay, and when it dies and won't restart I can hear the fuel pump kick on for it's two second pressurization when I turn key to "run" position. It is showing a code for catalytic convertor but I don't beleive that would cause car to stall out (doesn't run long enough for ccatalytic convertor to get hot and create too much back-pressure) My thoughts are learning towards the non-replacable crankshaft sensor inside the distributor but it's not throwing a code for that?

Sunday, February 19th, 2017 AT 2:09 PM
KHLOW2008
  • MERGED

Hi gottsm00,

Thank you for the donation.

When engine stalled, did the dash indicator lights come on?

There was a safety recall for the ignition switch which causes the symptoms described.

The other possibility is a failing fuel pump that intermittently fails when heated up.

It could also be due to a bad connection that fails after heating up.

When engine could not be started,
1. Test for sparks at the plugs to confirm if it is a spark ignition fault.
2. Test the fuel pressure to confirm if it is at fault.

Sunday, February 19th, 2017 AT 2:09 PM
GOTTSM00
  • MERGED

It is not the ign switch (blower motor works and dash lights stay on). And, my question said that the fuel pump is doing it's two second pressurization so that would supply enough fuel for the car to start and run for at least a few seconds. Will the crankshaft sensor in the distrubutor intermitently fail without throwing a code?

+1
Sunday, February 19th, 2017 AT 2:09 PM
KHLOW2008
  • MERGED

It is not likely for the cranksensor to intermittently fail without triggering a trouble code.

To confirm, test if sparks are available when engine could not be started.

Sunday, February 19th, 2017 AT 2:09 PM
GOTTSM00
  • MERGED

It is getting spark although it often seems like temporarily the ignition timing is not set correctly. It tries to fire but doesn't buck/stumble, etc. If the engine does restart it will idle Ok most times but will stumble, shudder, die when attempting to rev. That's what lead me to suspect the distributor crank sensor but I have no experience with that component. Trying to find out if it can momentarily fail and then "reset" when cooled? Or, is that a symptom of a failing fuel pump? I can hear the fuel pump pressurize when listening with the gas cap off. When driving the engine dies so quietly that I sometimes don't notice until I feel the car slowing down.
Thanks!

Sunday, February 19th, 2017 AT 2:09 PM
KHLOW2008
  • MERGED

Under such circumstances, the best way to go about is to retrive the freeze frame data to check the overall system.

You might have a faulty PCM or its wiring. Check the ground circuits to ensure they are clean and secure, especially the one on the intake manifold.

Sunday, February 19th, 2017 AT 2:09 PM
GOTTSM00
  • MERGED

How do I go about rtrieving the freeze frame data? Never heard of that.

Sunday, February 19th, 2017 AT 2:09 PM
KHLOW2008
  • MERGED

Since no trouble codes are triggered, you might not be able to get the freeze frame data. However if you have a scanner plugged, you might be able to monitor the various sensors to determine if they are working within specs when the engine could not be started.

Replacing parts on a trial and error basis is rather expensive and time consuming. Getting the correct scanner to read the raw data would be the better option.

Please consider a donation if we helped you
Sunday, February 19th, 2017 AT 2:09 PM