1999 Honda Accord engine randomly shuts off while driving and stalls.

HKEPHART
  • 1999 HONDA ACCORD

1999 Honda Accord 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 250000 miles

So first off let me say this car has been driven into the ground. A little over 250k miles and has had almost no service on it except probably oil changes for the last 50k miles. While im driving the engine sometimes randomly shuts off. I have to pull over and put it from drive into park or neutral then restart the car. Theres no pattern or time frames of when this happens. Sometimes 3-4 times a day. Sometimes it won't happen for a couple weeks. Long drives, short drives you name it. Some people told me to check the fule filter but I read online that in this year and model the fuel filter is inside the gas and is supposed to be rated for life. Also if you do get it replaced its ridiculously exspensive. Obviously with a car in this shape im not trying to put too much back into the car.

Wednesday, September 29th, 2010 AT 2:35 PM

F4I_GUY

It's most likely the ignition switch acting up on you. This is a popular failing item.

Please consider a donation to help us answer more questions.
+1
Wednesday, September 29th, 2010 AT 4:08 PM
CALMERNODRAMA

Thank you guys for providing this service. You are angels. I was happy to make a donation. Keep up the great work. I have been racking my brain for some time now trying to understand why my 1999 Honda Accord EX stalls while driving. I changed the plugs, wires & distributor cap. The faulty ignition switch makes so much sense.

Wednesday, February 15th, 2017 AT 7:43 PM
2CARPROS KEN

Thank you for the donation, when you had the distributor cap off was the inside covered in rust colored dust? This is a sign the distributor is going bad when is a very common problem with those cars. You can get a rebuilt one from Amazon.

Please let us know happens so it will help others.

Best, Ken

Sunday, February 19th, 2017 AT 2:02 PM
ASHLEYMORGAN
  • 1999 HONDA ACCORD
  • MERGED

My car just cut off on me on my way home its done that to me a few other times befor but it would always start back. This time it wouldnt so I coasted it offthe rd. Pulledit home I have replaced the ignition coil, still wouldnt start, replaced ignition switch, STILL NOTHING, replaced the coil wire. STILL want start. I also replaced the rotor button what else could it be PEASE HELP!

Sunday, February 19th, 2017 AT 2:08 PM
RIVERMIKERAT
  • MERGED

Have it scanned for codes and let us know what you find.

Sunday, February 19th, 2017 AT 2:08 PM
ASHLEYMORGAN
  • MERGED

I did at o'reillys an for some unknown reason cleard the codes so it has none from my understanding now the car has to run again befor any codeswill show:( :(

Sunday, February 19th, 2017 AT 2:08 PM
KHLOW2008
  • MERGED

When it could not start, you need to check what is missing. Check out the following link on what to look for.

http://www.2carpros.com/articles/car-cranks-but-wont-start

Sunday, February 19th, 2017 AT 2:08 PM
ASHLEYMORGAN
  • MERGED

Ok I tested most of all that but there is no spark on the coil wire.

Sunday, February 19th, 2017 AT 2:08 PM
KHLOW2008
  • MERGED

Ensure you have battery voltage at the ignition coil with ignition turned on AND while cranking. If yes, you could have a fault with the Ignition Control Module.

-1
Sunday, February 19th, 2017 AT 2:08 PM
KHLOW2008
  • MERGED

The other component that would cause a no spark condition would be the Crank Position Sensor.

Sunday, February 19th, 2017 AT 2:09 PM