1998 Honda Accord ECU

RICHCA
  • 1998 HONDA ACCORD
My engine light came on and the dealer reports that I need a new computer (brain) for the vehicle. They would like $1,200 for the work. I can purchase the same brand new ECU, through an authorized Honda Parts dealer for $640. Is this an item I can change myself or does a mechanic have to replace it. My understanding is that the computer can be found under the passengers floor/carpet and changed out. Is there anything else that would need to be done becides just changing the part?
Monday, January 14th, 2008 AT 2:06 PM

COOTERZ
Its behind the radio area. Get on the ground and pull back the carpet and you will see it. Start at the driver side and then go to the passenger side. Just buy a refurbished and swap it. I spoke to my local honda dealer and they knew of a guy.
+1
Wednesday, February 27th, 2008 AT 2:17 AM
RICHCA
That is correct but once you replace it the car will not start. You need to have it programmed to your car's security system. The keys will not work. Your honda guy does not know what he is talking about. I bought a brand new one for $600 online from Honda, changed it and the labor fee at the dealer was $50. Not worth doing it yourself!

Its behind the radio area. Get on the ground and pull back the carpet and you will see it. Start at the driver side and then go to the passenger side. Just buy a refurbished and swap it. I spoke to my local honda dealer and they knew of a guy.[/Quote:f9e19e682b]
+4
Wednesday, February 27th, 2008 AT 7:32 AM