1997 Honda Accord Brake Fluid Leakage

GERALYN
  • 1997 HONDA ACCORD
My front pads and rotors and back shoes need to be replaced. Would this be causing the brake fluid resevoir to be very low even if it is filled often?

Thanks.
Saturday, January 9th, 2010 AT 2:58 PM

MERLIN2021
As front pads wear the piston moves out of the caliper bore, this draws down the fluid, and eventually turns the RED das light on for BRAKES. No fluid needs to be added during normal use, the system is designed to turn the light on when the pads are low. When the caliper pistons are pushed back into the bore, the fluid refills the reservoir. If fluid is added instead of the pads being replaced, when the pads are replaced, the fluid will overflow the top of the master cylinder reservoir. If fluid is continually added and disapears, there may be a leak, is the pedal soft or mushy? Low?
Saturday, January 9th, 2010 AT 3:07 PM
GERALYN
I never did get the brake light on the dashboard, but the problem was actually a bad master cylinder. I replaced it and the front brake pads and it's fine now.

Thanks for your reply.
Thursday, January 14th, 2010 AT 10:01 AM
MERLIN2021
Your welcome, always around to assist!
Thursday, January 14th, 2010 AT 12:46 PM